Second homeowners accused of exploiting loophole

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
Marks

Second homeowners accused of exploiting loophole

Post by Marks »

Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Unfortunately you can’t read the link unless you pay to subscribe.
Marks

Post by Marks »

Oh well, it was free to read earlier. There's this:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-52316003
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Goscar

Post by Goscar »

All is not lost. In another story carried by BBC News, Wales: 'Small tourism businesses could "go bankrupt" or suffer "enormous hardship" because of changes to a coronavirus grant system, according to Conservative politicians.

Conservative AM for Aberconwy, Janet Finch-Saunders, who has written to the first minister about the issue, said: "This is not the time to be penalising genuine self-catering businesses in an effort to catch some of those individuals who [may] have [successfully taken] advantage of the rules [to] qualify second homes for business rates.

The chaos caused could see some genuine self-catering businesses go bankrupt."

Coincidentally, I wrote to Pembrokeshire County Council, our local MP, who happens to be the Secretary of State for Wales, and our AM in a similar vein on Friday.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Goscar wrote:All is not lost. In another story carried by BBC News, Wales: 'Small tourism businesses could "go bankrupt" or suffer "enormous hardship" because of changes to a coronavirus grant system, according to Conservative politicians.

Conservative AM for Aberconwy, Janet Finch-Saunders, who has written to the first minister about the issue, said: "This is not the time to be penalising genuine self-catering businesses in an effort to catch some of those individuals who [may] have [successfully taken] advantage of the rules [to] qualify second homes for business rates.

The chaos caused could see some genuine self-catering businesses go bankrupt."

Coincidentally, I wrote to Pembrokeshire County Council, our local MP, who happens to be the Secretary of State for Wales, and our AM in a similar vein on Friday.
Excellent - She's my AM and I wrote to her last week about this. Glad she is supporting us