CORONAVIRUS GRANT

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Business Support Grants – Self Catering
Revised Welsh Government Guidance in relation to the business support grants for self-catering accommodation was published on 17 April 2020 and states that self-catering properties will not be eligible for a grant unless the following criteria are met:-

The self-catering accommodation must produce two years of trading accounts directly preceding the current financial year of the business
The self-catering accommodation must actually have been let for a period of 140 days or more in the financial year 2019-20
The self-catering accommodation business must be the primary source of income for the owner (minimum threshold is 50%).
Please note that this also applies to those submissions which were made online prior to 20 April 2020.
To avoid the risk of grant clawback from the Welsh Government we have been given specific guidance that suitable evidence must be provided in order for any submissions to be considered. Therefore, all self-catering units will be required to email nndr.enquiries@conwy.gov.uk with the subject line “Business Grants – Self-catering evidence (quoting your 9 digit Business Rates Reference)”, attaching appropriate documentary evidence.

Local authorities have full discretion to request and examine trading business accounts, booking lists and self-assessment tax returns submitted to HMRC for the financial year ending 31 March 2019 should additional evidence be required to demonstrate that this criteria is met. In cases where local authorities have decided to request additional evidence and the evidence shows that the scheme criteria are not met, local authorities are required to withhold payment of the grant.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails please reply with ‘Unsubscribe’
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Well the Valuation Agency believe they are responsible. When have you ever had to prove eligibility to the council before?? ( I don’t own a property in Wales)

We all had to provide evidence to the Valuation Office a couple of years ago when the business rates were being reviewed.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... _2016_.pdf

I’m sorry, but I believe the councils are trying to keep your money, paid out in good faith by the government.

If you are refused your money you MUST ask what will happen to it. Is it being kept by the council??

I would be writing to the chancellor about this - daily if I were in your position.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I'm Conwy and the VOA gave me the option of filling in a complex income/expenditure form or send copies of accountant prepared accounts. They had 3 years of accounts from me.

I've now resubmitted the same paperwork and more to Conwy. We meet the criteria and then some. I wonder what excuse they'll come up with now not to pay out in a timely fashion.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

The self-catering accommodation must actually have been let for a period of 140 days or more in the financial year 2019-20
Have the Welsh Government changed the rules?

Was 70 days let and available for 140 days.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

fleur1277

Post by fleur1277 »

Cymraes wrote:I'm Conwy and the VOA gave me the option of filling in a complex income/expenditure form or send copies of accountant prepared accounts. They had 3 years of accounts from me.

I've now resubmitted the same paperwork and more to Conwy. We meet the criteria and then some. I wonder what excuse they'll come up with now not to pay out in a timely fashion.

I submitted mine last night Cymraes- although i had to do my accounts for the finnacial year just finnished before i did it. Still at least they have been done very early ready for submission in December.
Antiquity

Post by Antiquity »

Unfortunately our holiday let is in Pembrokeshire so it looks as if we will not receive a penny - having stayed up late last night to submit 2 years accounts and full details of bookings for 2019-20, I now find that we will fall foul of the criteria for 140 days bookings. Despite heavy advertising and availability 365 days per year we have never got above 136 days. Devastated - bookings for 2020 were going well, and we were optimistic for this year - we worked so hard to renovate the house and to keep it in top condition, and have been providing work and income for local villagers too. No income, don't qualify for any benefits, this was my main earnings so I won't get any self-employment payment.
This is a business ….
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

apexblue wrote:
Have the Welsh Government changed the rules?

Was 70 days let and available for 140 days.
That's the criteria for business rates. To get the grant they've set the bar higher.
J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Post by J B »

hydroland2

Post by hydroland2 »

Is anyone else (except the problems with Wales) still waiting for any information from their LA about the grant? Think I might have to contact Herefordshire to see if I can find out what's going on as we've still not heard anything :(
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Economic Resilience Fund to be paused at mid day 27th April 2020

july

FHL business support group - wales

Post by july »

If you are on Facebook there is a group called FHL business support group - wales.

If the grant (or lack of) in wales is affecting you please join. It would also we good to have people from wales who have had their grant.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Thx July.

How long before we are remove from business rates this year due to not meeting the criteria in 2020? That will be next.

J B
Location: We live in England and have rental properties in N Wales and Paphos, Cyprus

Re: FHL business support group - wales

Post by J B »

july wrote:If you are on Facebook there is a group called FHL business support group - wales.

If the grant (or lack of) in wales is affecting you please join. It would also we good to have people from wales who have had their grant.
Done!

We have also written to our local MP, the MP for N Wales and the 5 Welsh Assembly members where our property is situated and the local councillor and head of the council.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

apexblue wrote:Thx July.

How long before we are remove from business rates this year due to not meeting the criteria in 2020? That will be next.
The "Period of Grace" election should cover this I hope
rotaman

Post by rotaman »

Cymraes wrote:Yes also in Conwy. They are telling us nothing. Anyone would think it was their money.

I've now emailed our Assembly member to ask what is going on
I got my grant paid in the bank 5 days after filling in the online form with Denbigh council
canal boating 'the fastest way to slow down'