Are fabric beds hygienic?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Wiltscottage

Are fabric beds hygienic?

Post by Wiltscottage »

Hi,

Am new to lettings and researching into beds for holiday home. I see that the current trend is for fabric bedsteads or divans with headboards, but wonder if they are as easy to keep clean as wooden beds.

Any thoughts please on aesthetics vs practicality from the more experienced community?

Thanks
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi
No I would not go for a fabric headboard. You need to buy furnishings which you can keep pristine. Wooden beds every time (they can be repaired more easily as well!).
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

+1
Fabric would be risky - imagine trying to get a sun cream / hair gel / acne cream stain out on a changeover day
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Another vote here to avoid fabric.
Wiltscottage

Thanks

Post by Wiltscottage »

Thanks for seconding my reservations.

Now, on to sofas - the Ikea Ektorp has good reviews on here and I think the removable covers make sense.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

We too are furnishing a new summer rental and wont choose a fabric headboard as we think it would not be easy to keep clean with head oils etc.
Kate
USA
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We have Ektorp in a rental unit and our own house. The covers are easily removable and wash well. They are best dried on the line on a warm, windy day as that cuts down the ironing and, sometimes, by the time they are stretched back over the base units I don't need to iron the covers but just the cushion and seat covers.
KAB-Dennis

Post by KAB-Dennis »

We also have had Ektorp sofas and loveseats in previous rentals and I love them for the cottages. Not the most comfortable but not uncomfortable. Love the fact that you can switch out the cover in a moments notice and as someone else mentioned they wash up fine and look great PLUS the price is right!!!
Kate
USA
Mike&Chrissy

Post by Mike&Chrissy »

And if you can get an Ektorp in leather, you don't even have to wash the covers!

We have Ektorps at home and do find that if the seat cushions aren't plumped up regularly, they can begin to sag