business rates

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Bearsie

business rates

Post by Bearsie »

Dear members,
I have a holiday home in Wales and I’m now getting enough bookings to apply for business rates and then apply for the small business exemption. I just wondered if anyone knew of any downsides eg capital gains tax or anything else. I’m in Conway so any personal experience of Conway council would be very much appreciate

many thanks
Bearsie
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I'm in Conwy district- the whole process was pretty painless and they refunded me the council tax very promptly. Helps if you have proper certified accounts otherwise the form is tedious.

You'll be liable to CGT anyway, business rates or not.

I chose not to use the council for refuse collection - they continued to collect anyway along with our neighbours after I switched and I had to tell them to come and take away all the myriad bins they provide. They'd have probably continued collecting indefinitely if I hadn't.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I can't see any down sides, you should be paying for commercial waste collection either way so it should be cheaper as long as the SBBR continues to apply.
Bearsie

thank you Cymraes and Ianh100

Post by Bearsie »

thank you both for your prompt and helpful replies. i’m going to apply right away
all the best
Bearsie