Mark Cooker

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Ecosse

Mark Cooker

Post by Ecosse »

Anyone else received something similar? Despite the good English, I'm suspicious (use of the word, 'establishment', '7 nights' when the dates are a Monday until a Sunday, no introduction as to who he is and, most telling, trying to book an expensive ski package when all we provide is self catering accommodation) but just wondered what others thought?

Hello,

I want to confirm availability in your establishment, I need the services of a good ski instructor for a group of 6 .Below is the details for the booking.

ARRIVAL DATE: 20th January to 26th of January 2020. { 7days} NUMBER OF PEOPLE: 6, ( All adults,3 Males and 3 Female, Between the ages

of 19 to 33)

EXPERIENCE LEVELS: All Beginners

SKI TIME : Afternoon lessons

Let me know if you have space for the date, the total cost for the lesson and the cost for equipment.

Regards
Mark Cooker
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

The language and format say scam to me.
Any clues in the from and reply email addresses?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would agree with you both and share your suspicions Ecosse.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

greenbarn wrote:The language and format say scam to me.
Any clues in the from and reply email addresses?
Nothing obvious... It's a Gmail address and is something like 55'name'1955 so again, not as obvious as most but I'm pretty convinced now that it's a scam. These sort of enquiries, if they're genuine, usually come with a 'hi, I got your name via x mountain guide who stayed with you last summer...' or the likes.

I think it'll get a very brief response.
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

zebedee wrote:I would agree with you both and share your suspicions Ecosse.
It certainly smells scammy.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

I would say proceed with caution BUT in all our enquiries from either NZ or Australia they always quote the dates as shown in your original email. What they actually mean is they will leave on the 21st, it is weird but that is just the way they state it...in the actual days they want to stay.
So verify that with them I do every time and have been proved correct in each case.