When Does Monsoon Season End?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Mouse wrote:
In a way I can empathise with your cynicism as 2 years ago I found out our private pensions had been scammed. Of course I only found this out when the company, who were supposed to be managing the investments, went bust. 80% got wiped out and like you I now find it very hard to trust any company.

Mouse
x
Hi Mousie,

I hope you don’t mind me being inquisitive, but as someone who spent his career in banking and financial services, my professional curiosity is raised. Who was your pension company and what happened? If you’d prefer it, send me a PM.

Sorry to hear about this problem, it is alas too common, some of us manage to get the rogues closed down, but they spring up again like weeds with a different name. They’re just unspeakably evil.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

God what terrible experiences you have both had, so much unnecessary stress.

I’ve already learnt that, in the unfortunate instance, we would need to claim from an insurance policy that the first thing we would need to do is employ an expert who would so,eu represent us.

I’ve already had a minor nightmare trying to extract money from an insurance company for costs involved when a neighbors dog seriously attacked two of our chickens who are pets. They tried every which way to refute the claim even though our neighbor quickly acknowledged liability and that he would pay. It took a year to get the money out of them and that was with our insurers fighting them!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Our lawyer told us that only 80% of insurance claims ever pay out in full. And, all the while they wiggle and delay they have the money they owe you in the bank earning interest so by the time they pay out (if they ever do) the money they pay has been 'mitigated'. And, when they do pay you the sum does not represent the claim at the time of the incident because of rising prices …………….
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

It’s actually very difficult to reply in this post. What can possibly describe how truly awfully you have been treated.

I have read the messages over the days and been so appalled I’ve not known what to say.

Please know that you have friends here who would do anything they could to help you.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I feel I rather 'hi-jacked' the original very positive post for which I apologise.

However, I have to say that having the opportunity to 'unload' pent up frustration, anger, despair etc. here has helped.

To be honest, I have no idea what OH and I will do now. I doubt we'll re-open our own gites nor how we will afford to repair the roofs. The whole situation is too 'raw' for us to make any sensible decisions or even discuss a plan.

We've lived and worked here for 25 years and it all now seems a waste. At first we thought "we did it once, we'll do it again" but we are older than we were then! I don't know if I have the heart for it again …………………

I do thank everyone who has sent kind thoughts and best wishes and hope that our experience will prevent someone else finding themselves in the same situation.