Do these enquiries ring false?

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
leon

Do these enquiries ring false?

Post by leon »

I have just had 2 booking enquiries, different names, for the same dates in September 2020. This is very unusual.
Both state 1 visitor.
- "We are visiting the area between these dates and are interested in booking your place. If available, please approve our booking so we may arrange payment. Thank you."
and
"Couple of retirees, looking to book your place. Please approve our request. Thanks."
The enquiries came in an interval of 20 mins.
I am inclined to ask them to recontact me in May 2020.
Do these enquiries ring false with anyone else?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I would read that as a scam for more than one reason.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Sounds like a scam to me
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Bree

Post by Bree »

I had the exact same for same dates a few days ago approx half hour apart for same dates end of Sept 2020, I was also wondering? They were also very unusual surnames.. and looking for immediate reply for dates that are so available??
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Bree wrote:I had the exact same for same dates a few days ago approx half hour apart for same dates end of Sept 2020, I was also wondering? They were also very unusual surnames.. and looking for immediate reply for dates that are so available??

Scam it is and from the same source. "Please approve our" is an unusual phrase for making a booking and it appears in both texts. The same applies to "your place".
leon

Post by leon »

I've also has this enquiry from airbnb:
"RE:Inquiry for May 9 - Jul 6, 2020

Hello. We have a 2 years old daugther and we need a crib for her. Thank you, Louise
"

Are they trying to sabotage the big sites? I don't see the point.
Does anyone?