Newbie! What do you honestly think about Promote My Place?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Rosbifs5

Newbie! What do you honestly think about Promote My Place?

Post by Rosbifs5 »

Hi everyone,

I have been scrolling through the forum. We have bought a lovely house in the Bordeaux / Saint Emilion region, which we love.

Having furnished it and taken some lovely photos, I have been researching how to go about building my own website (I'm not tech-savvy!).

I've bought my domain name separately after reading various articles. Promote My Place seems to look easy to use and provide a polished product.

Just wondered what other people thought of it?

Thanks so much in advance for any advice!
Ellie
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi
Promote my place will be ideal for you. You don’t have to be tech savvy but can produce a website with as many pages as you one that will look very professional. It is easy to do, and you will have great support if needed.
You can link calendars as well with your advertising sites so no need to log on repeatedly when you get a booking.
The first2 weeks is free, then the discount code I will PM you will give you £10 off the £79 pa cost (and me£10 off).

The great thing is you can get something basic set up the add pages or change or add photos and text whenever you like.

Good luck, you won’t regret it!
Rosbifs5

Post by Rosbifs5 »

Thank you so much, that's great.

Do you know whether you can have the website in different languages using PMP?

zebedee wrote:Hi
Promote my place will be ideal for you. You don’t have to be tech savvy but can produce a website with as many pages as you one that will look very professional. It is easy to do, and you will have great support if needed.
You can link calendars as well with your advertising sites so no need to log on repeatedly when you get a booking.
The first2 weeks is free, then the discount code I will PM you will give you £10 off the £79 pa cost (and me£10 off).

The great thing is you can get something basic set up the add pages or change or add photos and text whenever you like.

Good luck, you won’t regret it!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Yes, you have a list of different languages- at least 20 I would say from memory, that you tick and the website is translated into them automatically.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

If you’re interested in PMP, there’s some previous commentary on this forum, back in 2012.

One thing I would be concerned about at the moment is the effect of Brexit. As I understand it certain hosts will not be able to host websites with .co.uk, or .eu suffixes, so it’s important to have the right suffix for your location.
I don’t know more than that, but it might be worth investigating.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Rosbifs5

Post by Rosbifs5 »

Thanks. I have bought a .com suffix, thankfully.
Moliere wrote:If you’re interested in PMP, there’s some previous commentary on this forum, back in 2012.

One thing I would be concerned about at the moment is the effect of Brexit. As I understand it certain hosts will not be able to host websites with .co.uk, or .eu suffixes, so it’s important to have the right suffix for your location.

Moliere
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Moliere wrote:If you’re interested in PMP, there’s some previous commentary on this forum, back in 2012.

Moliere
I cannot find anything on this anywhere. Even after Brexit, British companies can still use their .eu domains.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Newtimber, I don’t have all the details because it’s not relevant to me. However some friends face having to change their domain names and it seems to me that anyone setting up a new website should at least be aware that potentially there is an issue.

Mols
CSE

Post by CSE »

certain hosts will not be able to host websites with .co.uk, or .eu suffixes,
Not quite correct, there are other restrictions on using certain TLD. So these may have an influence of what may happen in the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_I ... el_domains

For instance the.euTLD https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.eu
Launched on 7 December 2005, the domain is available for any person, company or organization based in the European Economic Area (the EU member states, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway)
But who is to say this will be enforced after the break?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Quite CSE. And as the UK is currently a member of the EEA as a member of the EU, the future is clouded. We all hope the UK doesn’t leave the EEA, because that will screw up all our banking and financial arrangements, but it cannot be ruled out.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

The EU originally said they'd cancel the listing for UK people, but backtracked when they realised the implications. No-one would ever buy an eu domain in the future and invest in promoting it, if it could be taken away.