Like buttons and anew EU ruling.

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
CSE

Like buttons and anew EU ruling.

Post by CSE »

Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
GRL

Post by GRL »

Hmmm - they are automatically on the top of my PromoteMyPlace website and at the bottom of blog posts on the website. I've emailed PMP to ask them what this will mean for our websites.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Thanks for flagging this CSE.

I’m assuming this is not just the normal clickable FB symbol that links to the site’s own FB page, but something additional?

This statement is particularly worrying:
The ECJ ruled that users of websites featuring the button must be made aware that they will have their data transferred to the software giant regardless of whether they click to like the page.
It needs some further clarification, but it suggests to me that if a website has this FB Like button, just visiting the site - without even seeing the FB button - will be enough for FB to harvest as a minimum your IP address associated with the site you visited, probably much more - pages that you visited, how long you spent etc. This information is of course available to the owner of any website, but I don’t expect - or want - that information passed on to FB and thence to anyone wanting to collect data for their own purposes.

I hope I’ve got that wrong.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I read that sentence exactly the same way greenbarn - if that is the case I will insist PMP takes the like buttons off my website. I love FB as a means of keeping in touch with friends and family all over the world but there is so much about it that worries me greatly - they have way too much power and influence.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

greenbarn wrote:
I’m assuming this is not just the normal clickable FB symbol that links to the site’s own FB page, but something additional?
To add to this I’ve had a quick dig for my own benefit, and this is not the f in a blue circle which many of us have and which is a simple clickable link to our FB page; rather it’s the same as the thumbs up “Like” symbol on FB posts, and designed to enable the site visitor to share content with their FB "Friends”.

I don’t know how common that is, but if it’s something on your website it has to be a good idea (presumably about to be a requirement) to get rid of it.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Yes it is for likes only not to forward website visitors to your FB page. Where they can like your FB page or a post. Well that is my interpretation of this.
I can only see this affects FB and no other social media. For example most websites have twitter cards these days. Maybe that is different issue(?)
I would like all responses so far, but I am not allowed :lol:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Reasonably good article here which explains a few things.
GRL

Post by GRL »

I got a reply from PMP:
Yes, we are aware of this recent ruling. But as with all these things, it's a good idea to wait for the dust to settle to see what will happen. At the moment we're not sure what the options are for compliance, so we'll be keeping an eye out for industry recommendations and going from there.
I cannot believe (well actually I can) that simply by having the FB like button on your website allows FB to collect data from people visiting your website.
CSE

Post by CSE »

That quote is fair but how long does it take for the dust to settle?