English TV here in France

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
chipiechoo

English TV here in France

Post by chipiechoo »

Help would be very much appreciated from other owners here in France as to what and how they are providing English reception on their televison?
We have successfully, with many upgrades provided a sky box and larger dish to guests for the last 12 years but sadly seems to be failing this year. The majority of our guests require after internet, English TV. So any suggestions would be most welcome, our internet speed is about 2.5 so would an IPTV set box work?
Thank you in advance for your advice or suggestions.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Where are you, chipiechoo, and how big is your dish? The satellite footprint is pretty narrow and much of the southwest struggles to get reception. I'm near Beziers and my 120 cm dish is just about OK most of the time, except in bad weather.
I'm not aware of any tightening of the transmission recently, has anything else changed in your setup or surroundings?

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

Thank you for your response Moliere.
We are in the Tarn and the dish is 100 cm, no obvious changes in our surroundings or setup.
Our desire is to get rid of the ugly dish if we can find an alternative, not get a bigger one. But the question remains what, will probably have to get the sky people in yet again for some answers.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

chipiechoo wrote:Thank you for your response Moliere.
We are in the Tarn and the dish is 100 cm, no obvious changes in our surroundings or setup.
Our desire is to get rid of the ugly dish if we can find an alternative, not get a bigger one. But the question remains what, will probably have to get the sky people in yet again for some answers.
We are further south than you and still use the same dish we had fitted nearly 20years ago. The signal does go in the extremes of weather (positive and negative).

Now anyone with SKY can bring their own system with them via SKYGO. Therefore there is no real need for you to provide an independent system. If your guests are resonably savvy they can have their SKY on a tablet and/or computer and then connect with an HDMI cable to the tv. Plus their netflix, Iplayer etc etc we believe. Brexit could of course supper this!

We have friends with only around 2.5 at their holiday home and they have 2 teenage youngsters who are happy with their tv options (speed reliability etc)

More and more tv is on the internet and so it is only a matter of time before the large (and ugly) dishes will be a a thing of the past anyway

VT
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

chipiechoo wrote: We are in the Tarn and the dish is 100 cm, no obvious changes in our surroundings or setup.
Well, in the Tarn you're better-placed within the Astra "footprint" than we are here, so your problem seemingly lies elsewhere. Given that you also want to get rid of your dish, then I suggest you take up the suggestion from vacancethezan and explore internet connectivity and/or call in an expert to advise on the optimum route for your particular situation.

Bonne chance, do let us know how it goes, won't you, as it's a question which we all face to one extent or another.

Moliere
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

Merci both.
Very interesting VT regarding the SKYGO, will most certainly ask this years guests prior to arrival if they have the facility, rather they bring that than loo paper! What a bonus that would be.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

chipiechoo wrote:Merci both.
Very interesting VT regarding the SKYGO, will most certainly ask this years guests prior to arrival if they have the facility, rather they bring that than loo paper! What a bonus that would be.
They wont be bringing loo paper if its a hard Brexit, it will be in short supply :P
What would Plato do ?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

bornintheuk wrote:
They wont be bringing loo paper if its a hard Brexit, it will be in short supply :P
They might bring hard loo paper. Anyone for IZAL or Broncho? :lol:
LotBoy47

Post by LotBoy47 »

I don’t know how IPTV would work in France unless you use VPN service to persuade the internet that you’re back in Blighty.

Netflix, YouTube and Amazon video don’t seem to care about a French IP address, but iPlayer and ITV Hub won’t work here without a good VPN.
petemcveigh

Post by petemcveigh »

LotBoy47 wrote:I don’t know how IPTV would work in France unless you use VPN service to persuade the internet that you’re back in Blighty.

Netflix, YouTube and Amazon video don’t seem to care about a French IP address, but iPlayer and ITV Hub won’t work here without a good VPN.
I would be interested to know what VPNs people are using to access BBC iPlayer. I have tried a number of 'big name' ones to attempt to access BBC from the US but the iPlayer platform invariably recognises them as VPNs and blocks viewing.

Many thanks

Pete
" Do I really look like a guy with a plan?"
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

LotBoy47 wrote:I don’t know how IPTV would work in France unless you use VPN service to persuade the internet that you’re back in Blighty.

If you are on your holidays then you dont need a VPN for Skygo or an even IPTV option. If you have SKYGO then you already have all the FTA channels on there - dont you?

VT
Pendragon

Post by Pendragon »

We live in Brittany and use mostly Sky, via a dish, but when we go to Nice we cannot have a dish so we take a little black box with us and connect it to our Livebox (Router) and watch TV via the Internet. It does sometimes stutter but mostly we get very good reception hundreds of Channels, British, USA and loads of foreign language channels. We pay yearly for it and the price depends on the package you choose. Ours is somewhere in the region of £350 a year. Our friends use their's here and in Spain. I do not know but think that might be the IPTV thing people have mentioned.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

In response to your question Moliere, our month long guests have bought Skygo with them, not even at our suggestion and reception at the moment seems fine.
They are happy campers and so are we, thankfully lovely people who seem content with everything, joy, couldn't ask for more.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Thanks chipiechoo, sounds like you have a good result there. Long may it continue.

Mols :D