A Fruity Tale

Come for a relaxed chat about anything at all and meet your fellow rental owners.
PW in Polemi

A Fruity Tale

Post by PW in Polemi »

So there I was, back in the kitchen again, facing a proliferation of pomegranates. Having learnt from my previous attempt at prying the pearls from the pith, I was already wearing my protective apron.

Chopping board and freshly sharpened knife, bowl of cold water for rinsing messy hands, old carrier bag for the waste, wide-mouthed jug to receive the pearls ... it was all systems go.

My current method of preparing pomegranates is to cut them in quarters, turn the wedges inside out, and gently release the pearls direct into the jug.

Well, that's the theory, anyway.

In practice, it was somewhat different. Those little pearls were bursting with juice. And that juice went spraying everywhere. Literally, everywhere! Inside my apron, on my face and specs, on the splashback, the wall cupboard, the floor, the tabletop ...

And after the cleanup, the chopping board was still stained a delicate brown shade from the pomegranate juice, as were my fingers.

So on to the next fruit. Lemons. Loads of them. Awaiting juicing by hand. Not as messy as the pomegranates, but by the time I had finished picking out the seeds, my fingers were much less stained, as was the chopping board. And the cleanup was easier too.

A morning's work resulted in a fridge stocked with jars of pomegranate ready for adding to cereal, salads, whatever, plus bottles of fresh lemon juice (complete with pulp) ready for my morning cuppa.

And of course, a newly clean kitchen and sparkly specs! 😀
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!