Ray Martin

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
Sandra J

Ray Martin

Post by Sandra J »

Has anyone had an enquiry from Ray Martin for 3 weeks in March. Flexible dates. Phone number given was from the US. Not sure if it’s a scam or genuine.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Flexible dates suggests scam. The name doesn’t really help as the same scam will appear under different names. What matters in determining a scam is the actual text used and the from and reply email addresses.
If you post the text of the enquiry it may well be obvious.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

This is the email text I received “I'm writing to find out if you have availability in your accommodation fr 3 weeks for me and my wife from March 8th to March 29th We're a bit flexible and we don't mind changing date so please send me the availability and rate that you have for the 3 weeks . I look forward t hearing from you soon. Thank you.”

No reply so far from the email I sent to him. Not sure if it’s connected but I have been getting lots of phone calls from the US this week. Phone numbers are listed on internet as not valid.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I’m not 100% but sufficiently sure it’s a scam attempt from the text that I wouldn’t bother with a reply. If the "reply to" and “from" email addresses are different, that would clinch it for me.
Giuliano

Post by Giuliano »

The keywords here are:
flexibility on dates
use of generic wording ("your accomodation")
a long rental period.
This all points to scam.
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Definitely a scam. I got the same email enquiry again last night with the same spelling mistakes. Both enquiries were through Farmstay.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Just received ours.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.