DPE Required when selling Holiday Home?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
dl

DPE Required when selling Holiday Home?

Post by dl »

Hi,

We are getting conflicting information from estate agents about if we need a DPE to put our house up for sale or not.

Three agents have told us we don't need it, that as the house is our holiday rental home and only rented for less than 12 weeks a year its not needed. While the agent I have contacted more recently has told me its the law and it must be completed before we can put the house up for sale.

So which is it? Anybody know?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We are selling a 'holiday home' and have had to have the DPE.

I can't see that a property being full time residential or a holiday home makes any difference. The report details the presence/absence of things like lead, asbestos etc. (amongst many things) and any buyer is going to want to know about it regardless of what you used the property for.

In any case, having a DPE will make it more saleable as the absence of one may ring alarm bells in a prospective purchaser.
Pamski

Post by Pamski »

We sold our chalet in the Alps earlier in the year and I am sure we had to obtain this.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I'm with GillianF, I can't see why being a holiday home would make any difference at all.
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

We have just sold our holiday let in France, and had the DPE done just prior to signing the compromis. The agents were willing to market it on the basis of the old DPE (which was 9 years old). My understanding is that you have to have one less than 6m old at signature (which makes money for someone, bearing in mind the length of time properties can be on the market!)

We went through the same procedure with our villa last year.

Certainly in the UK, a property cannot be marketed without an EPC (Listed properties excepted)...perhaps that's an EU regulation?
Circé

Post by Circé »

Doesn't matter how you use your house, a DPE is part of the package of diagnostic reports which the law requires to be provided to buyers. See this on the Notaires de France website
https://www.notaires.fr/fr/immobilier-f ... mmobiliers