Where is the French property market heading?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Le roi de Prusse wrote:
Jensen wrote:
Well said ! And I actualy think that you have toned the hard reality of it down !! (we had 2 broken/smashed toilet seats this year, again ! )

But from experience anybody wishing to venture into the French Gite/ B&B market just won't be put off !!!
Assuming you provide holiday accommodation yourself, would you have been put off by people telling you how hard it is when you were in our position?
When we started we could get 26 weeks a year with a chez nous advert. When we started we did'nt even have a TV in our rental accommodation and it bothered no one never mind what everybody expects today ! In 1999 there was no other rental accommodation in our rural village and there are now more than 10.If I did my homework today I would'nt need putting off as it would be a non starter !
Jensen

Re: Where is the French property market heading?

Post by Jensen »

oasiscouple wrote:
Le roi de Prusse wrote:More specifically, where is the market in old, stone houses typically loved by the British yet disdained by the French going? Some online estate agents are talking up the pre-Brexit ‘rush’, suggesting there has never been a better time to sell as Brits flock to France to buy a home and establish residency. Others are suggesting that prices are continuing to rise as, even if there is a ‘no deal’ Brexit, France will remain a great place to have a holiday home, visa or no visa requirements.
I thought the topic here was property prices in France, so on that basis I will add my bit. In our area (limit Gironde, Dordogne and Lot et Garonne) values of our type of property have been static, even a bit down, since 2002. This is when I purchased my three bedroom stone built house with 10m x 5m swimming pool, no near neighbours and with vineyards and woods on all sides. I purchased the property to run as a summer holiday home. This worked very successfully with average 16 weeks booked every year. Following my divorce, I moved into the house but continued the holiday lettings in the summer moving temporarily elsewhere.

Since I purchased the house, I have had the house reroofed, taking advantage to add very efficient roof insulation, changed all external doors and windows to double glazed units, added a garage which the house didn’t have and many other improvements.

I want to sell and buy something else near the Mediterranean coast where we already have a holiday beach apartment. Two estate agents have valued the house for sale at less than I paid in 2002 despite all the improvements. Both said the market for this type of property is very depressed at the moment, hence the low valuation.

Think I need to wait a bit, but how long?
That unfortunately is a French reality that is so difficult for Brits coming from booming Britain where we were all brought up to believe that the best investment that you will ever make is in "Bricks & Mortar".

Along with many I bought my first house at 18 years old in a depressed Lancashire mill town for £4K and sold it 3 years later for £32K ! Your lucky to get your money back here never mind make a profit !!!!!

We also have a town house here in France that we bought over 20 years ago to rent long term to the French. I initially spent 2 years renovating and have since done the roof, all the windows etc .. and will probably will never get our money back!! c'est la vie :-(
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Having read this thread, at least as far as property sale prices go, I have to say I have managed to sell my stone property this summer, actually to one of my guests directly, and I am buying another stone property in the neighbourhood, which will suit me better. Happy days, here in north Dordogne.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.