Expectations re cleaners

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
tiernsee

Expectations re cleaners

Post by tiernsee »

Really looking for some advice on what would be the expected average cost per changeover for cleaning and laundry services for a 2 bed, sleep 4 house - no carpets and no pets allowed. Unfortunately we are too far away to do it ourselves (house is in South Devon, we are in the north) and so are trying to assess what we could expect to pay for getting someone in to do this for us. Many thanks for any advice/info that is forthcoming
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi,
We pay our cleaner around £50 for a change over, that is typically 2 hours at £12 an hour and the laundry is charged on a per item basis. She does a pretty good job but we go ourselves about once per month and clean the oven, move the furniture and general maintenance.

The challenge is finding a good and reliable cleaner when you giving them variable work depending on bookings.
Drax

Post by Drax »

Our holiday let is a 2 bedroomed bungalow, sleeps 3, some carpets and we do not allow dogs.
My wife and I do the cleaning, laundry, maintenance and gardening.
For the actual cleaning I estimate it would take us 2 hours working without a break but we do it at a more leisurely rate taking about 3 to 4 hours.
Thus I would allow 4 hours for one cleaner to complete the task, paying £12.00 per hour which seems to be the going rate in our part of the world.
Laundry of course would cost extra.
Keep your powder dry.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

It will be affected by a few factors, eg how many floors (and stairs) and how many bathrooms.

We have two properties that each have two ensuite bedrooms, two floors and a small gallery area. Normal time for a changeover to the standard we require is 2 hours x 2 people. Our three bedroom, two bathroom, three floors property is 3 hours x 2 people. No carpets in all three.
Plus laundry, grounds maintenance and the odd thing to fix.

Pretty much in line with Drax then for cleaning time. It will take longer than a typical house clean.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

And don't forget to factor in cleaning/changeover consumables, plus items for any welcome pack provided. My cleaners leave tea/coffee/sugar/milk and locally made biscuits.
The best things in life are free
Norfolk Canary

Post by Norfolk Canary »

We have a one bedroom place in North Norfolk and our change overs, including linen, are £60. In my opinion it is expensive, but that seems to be the going rate.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I pay £60 for cleaning and laundry .. My cleaner leaves tea, coffee, milk, cake and flowers from the garden.

Occasionally she sorts out problems .. E.g. re-tuning the TV. She also checks guests have put the rubbish out

My cottage has 2 bedrooms and sleeps 3.

My current cleaner has been with me for nearly 2 years and is really great. I have good feedback from guests re cleanliness and she is reliable and conscientious.

However in the previous 4 years I went through 6 cleaners. 2 were good the other 4 were pretty awful and I had to say goodbye to them, which wasn't easy.

Before starting with my current cleaner I had advertised for some weeks on a local notice board and had 6 or 7 people who had approached me . I probably interviewed 4 & followed up references for everyone. I think the references were particularly helpful in making a good choice.