Beware of this one!!

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
annafern

Beware of this one!!

Post by annafern »

Hi

Its easy to get tricked into opening documents and this email this morning is a good example.
Good morning,

We had a lovely time at your property last year and I was wondering if is available for 2019 same period. I have attached last year booking form with all the details. We will be the same number of people and let me know if the price has changed since I am ready to transfer the funds to book it.

Kind regards
Andrew
And under that a docx to open.

I have 4 properties to rent! and he doesn't say which one. Quick check of his email and nothing in my booking system software. He might have changed email but there is no mention of his surname as I have spreadsheet I can also check to see who booked in, which Cottage and dates.

I have just emailed him back to ask which Cottage does he want to book and times and to confirm I would send him a new booking form to fill in!!

I don't expect to get an answer.

But be mindful of this sort of request.

Anna

:roll:
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Thanks for the heads up - that's a crafty one!

On a similar vein, I'm getting a lot of junk to my personal email... I think an email list for a group I once belonged to has been hacked and I'm getting a spate of emails from people on the list but with one letter changes. To give an example, let's call one of them Alan Weeks... I've had emails from Allan Weeks, Alan Wks, Allen Weaks, etc, etc. All of these are obvious junk... but one nearly caught me out: his name spelt correctly, with the message:

'Hello, we're organising a hill walking trip this semester and we're wondering if you could check over our attached equipment list?'

It nearly caught me out because the said person is a hill walker who does organise trips to the Alps occasionally. Had it not said 'semester' (he's not a student/lecturer) or had I been less sure of his experience in organising hill walking trips, I may well have been duped.

The scammers are getting cleverer :(
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Anna - I had exactly the same email which would suggest the same source. I sent the attachment to an online virus checker which found no viruses so I'm not sure quite what the scam was. The X-Authuser is someone @bathholidayproperties.co.uk.
I received another email from them in April asking permission to publish photographs with a dropbox attachment... I looked at the website and it's undergoing maintenance...
annafern

Post by annafern »

Mine was from someone @pamplonas.co.uk

Website doesn't exist!

Think the alarm bells also rang for me with the sentence.

I am ready to transfer the funds to book it
A great big carrot to entice you to open the document!

Anna :wink:
www.bluelagoon.co.uk www.uniqueholidaycottages.co.uk
I own two websites - Blue Lagoon which I use to market my own holiday cottages. I also own Unique Holiday Cottages - a directory of luxury holiday lets in England and Wales.
Yorkshire Lass

Post by Yorkshire Lass »

Yes - I got this one too!
We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars

www.kingshousescarborough.com
www.facebook.com/scarboroughholidaycottage
www.sandsendpavilion.co.uk
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Another one is:

"Stayed at your property last week and left my watch there, here's an attached photo of what it looks like"

Opening it goes straight to your email login, that's what they're trying to harvest.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
beef3844675

Andrew is still looking

Post by beef3844675 »

He must of had a busy time last year he was at my place as well