Fast 60 degree washing machine

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
peter_964rs

Fast 60 degree washing machine

Post by peter_964rs »

We're hoping to install three shepherd's huts in our orchard, planning permission awaited, and have decided to do our own laundry onsite rather than use a 3rd party linen service.

On changeover, we'll want to kick off the washing of existing bed linen, towels, etc. This will mean getting some dedicated washing machines and tumble dryers in a laundry room (probably a converted shipping container).

I know we need to wash at 60degC but wondered if anyone could recommend washing machines to use, I'd be grateful. Specifically, I'm looking for a 60C wash that is quick, a high drum capacity (if we could cram in the duvet, pillowcases, sheets, towels and dish towels for one or one and a half huts that would be ideal), and a high spin speed. It's too easy to fall into the trap of getting a 'normal' machine that then takes 3-4h to do a full 60C wash, given time to heat up etc. I'd like 90 minutes max so our changeover team can stick stuff in to wash, clean the huts, and take it out and put it in to dry when they leave.

Grateful for anyone's thoughts.
Newbie and tired
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Our Samsung does a 60 degree wash, with 3 spins, in 1 hr 13 mins. Not sure about your quantities, but if you mean duvet covers, rather than actual duvets, it should be OK.

Mols

ps, just looked - capacity is 8 kg.
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
peter_964rs

Post by peter_964rs »

Hello, just to add I've said 'I know we need to wash at 60C' but in fact that is via someone I know that runs letting rooms over her pub. I can't find anything that says it is an HSE mandate, or some other requirement. Can anyone comment on that, specifically...? I imagine it's do to with control of bacteria.
Newbie and tired
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

We bought an 18Kg machine last year (Cater-kwik), initially for horse rugs etc, but I now use it for all my washing (including duvets etc)....bliss...one large load done in just over an hour (a 60'C wash would be longer). Might be worth considering ?
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

We are now renting an LG 9kg washing machine after one of the two Panasonic 8kgs we have had since 2013 refused to spin what it found to be an 'unbalanced load' (which was in the end, just about any load we placed in it).

But we are already missing having two Panasonic machines because its programs were not just easy to select, but also very quick. We could do a fast 60C programme in around 50 minutes. Whereas the LG's programmes are much more complex. I also need my glasses and a torch to override the very long programme times on the LG.
Also, our new LG varies the programme time depending on the load, which can be very frustrating. During a changeover, we often have 12 bath towels and 12 hand towels to wash. Although we divide the towels equally, into each machine, our 7-year-old Panasonic will complete in under an hour, whereas the LG will take twice as long to get it done, even with the 'faster cycle' selected.

I would certainly go for a larger capacity machine. You have to really squeeze a king-size duvet into an 8kg machine, which is not good for the seals or the drum mechanism. But when you have to clean and dry a duvet during a changeover, you of course don't have time to take it to the dry cleaners.

An industrial machine (as mentioned by Zingara) is a very good idea, and when we end our rental contract, we will probably go for one of these. It takes 6 full loads using our two 8 and 9 kg machines to wash everything on one of our 9-guest changeovers, so an 18kg machine would really cut down on our energy use and time, which would make the higher purchase cost of the machine still worthwhile.

Also, the quality of many washing machines is not what it used to be. So, be careful of some brands.

Candy-Hoover should be avoided (we went through 6 months of hell with a new Candy heat-pump dryer last year before the store would replace it). Also, the Whirlpool group (including Indesit, Hotpoint and Bauknecht) are not much better (it is normal these days that an Indesit washing machine will often need service and repairs on a regular basis).

If you're not going for an industrial brand, then Bosch/Siemens, the Electrolux Group (including AEG and Zanussi) and LG are better. Miele is still the King of course (including the price). Samsung are good, but the newer models have a tendency to break down. The cost of many of the larger spare parts make Panasonic not worth repairing (and they are a nightmare to take apart and put together again), but personally we have found Panasonic washing machines brilliant to use for a holiday home during the 5-7 years of use we have got out of them. Panasonic dryers are another matter...

Hope the above is some help to you.
peter_964rs

Post by peter_964rs »

Thank you all for your very helpful comments. I will certainly be checking out the 18Kg equine washer! That seems ideal
Newbie and tired
peter_964rs

Post by peter_964rs »

PS I can't find anywhere the reference to washing at 60C on any website include the HSE (UK). It's a passing comment from my sister in law with whom we're now somewhat distant so I can't ask her; I suspect it's a policy with the pub chain to which she belongs and not any actual legislation. I checked with our booking agents (Sykes) and they had never heard of it either. So a 40C or less wash will be fine for us and it's just the time taken for that; the Cater-Kwick looks ideal if it takes 18kg and does that in under 60 minutes.
Newbie and tired
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

The 'equine' machine has a variety of settings ...I do my 'standard' wash (and it will include mucking-out gear) as a bulky load, max soiling (5, range is 1-5) and 1300 spin : 30'C 75 minutes, 40'C 80 minutes. Minimum soiling 1 : 60 mins and 70 mins respectively. Rather than do a hotter wash for the really mucky stuff, which a lot of materials (eg. fleeces) won't take, I use a laundry cleanser.

It's fantastic for duvets and bedspreads...nice wide door that I can get my head and shoulders into for that last remaining sock!

Yes it cost more, but looking at the cost of cleaning horse rugs, duvets etc I have probably saved the difference in the 15m since I've had it.

I'm sure all these machines are very clever now, but it has a feature that nearly had me bereft a couple of months ago...it weighs the load at the beginning of the cycle: if there's room for more, it stops and unlocks the door to allow you to put more in...I've usually flown to the next task so hadn't appreciated it did this...every time I restarted it, it did the same...I thought it had broken down...silly me :oops:
SW31

Post by SW31 »

The Miele isn’t that fast. I’ve just put a load in, set out cottons 60 degrees. It was just over 3 hours or 2 hours 7 minutes using the short option!
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

I have a brilliant Beko washing machine that does a 1 hour 60c wash and takes up to 10kg. I can easily fit a king size bed spread and sofa covers, etc and wash more than one bed's worth. This is the one:

https://www.johnlewis.com/beko-wy104764 ... e/p2847385
Boomhulay

Post by Boomhulay »

I also have a Beko, it’s brilliant! There is a ‘daily wash’ option that is very quick and because it’s a huge drum it really cuts down the amount of washes I have to do, so saves a lot of time and money.
I have one king sized bed that I have special covers for, as thick as duvets and I can fit them in the machine with no problems. I used to have to shlep them to the launderette and it cost about £10 a time to wash and dry them there. Now I bung them in on a quick wash and hang them on a clothes horse to dry, so I’d guess that in the year I’ve had the Beko, its paid for itself.
It doesn’t seem as noisy as the other washing machines I’ve had either and I’ve had (killed through constant use) a lot of different makes. :wink:
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Whilst it’s not mandatory, I think the 60 degrees is the recommended temperature for a clean wash to ensure any body fluids/ fats are washed out of the fabrics. I always wash mine at 60 degrees ( and sometimes 90 degrees) for that reason, after doing some research into the subject. 40 degrees just isn’t hot enough. That’s why I have commercial bedding that will take the high washing temperatures.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Sherry wrote:Whilst it’s not mandatory, I think the 60 degrees is the recommended temperature for a clean wash to ensure any body fluids/ fats are washed out of the fabrics. I always wash mine at 60 degrees ( and sometimes 90 degrees) for that reason, after doing some research into the subject. 40 degrees just isn’t hot enough. That’s why I have commercial bedding that will take the high washing temperatures.
Yes it is, but you need to look at the care instructions as some poly cotton shouldn't be washed at higher than 40 degrees. Out of Eden polycotton sheets for example.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

I do wonder if the Out of Eden 40C thing is just covering their backsides. I use their 300 thread count pure cotton stuff, which also has a 40C label on it. (And am mildly unimpressed that the seams on two of the pillowcases have started unravelling within 3 months of first use).
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...