Problem with concrete swimming pool

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Corfudeb

Problem with concrete swimming pool

Post by Corfudeb »

I am in need of advise regarding our pool. We have a concrete pool which was painted last year with an epoxy paint. The surface has bubbled badly and we have been advised to sand it back to the concrete. We bought a good sanding machine to try to remove the paint layers ready to repaint. However, even with the hardest sandpaper, it is not removing the paint. Can anyone advise what to do? Do we need to find a professional team to do this for us? NB. We are on a greek island!
Hold on to your dreams!
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Hi Corfudeb, is there any chance of getting your hands on a sand blaster? It would make a mess but should get the paint off.
Was the paint applied professionally? If so I would be taking it up with the person who did the work.
Good luck.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Ideally you need a surface grinder with diamond face (as opposed to edge) cutters. Attach to a hoover / dust extractor & your paint will soon be off. I did ours & removed seven years worth of delaminated epoxy in a couple of days. Seal & coat with a tanking slurry & then do yourself a favour & tile the pool. It will cost you now but will remove the headache of flaky epoxy paint for good.

Edit: The machine is Eibenstock EUF100 that I bought with 2 different graded cutters from Refina UK & sent over. It's a powerful piece of kit that was well worth the money.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Seconded, no longer impressed with epoxy. If you tile, get epoxy tile adhesive and grout, or at least one for a swimming pool and not a bathroom. Constantly immersed in water is different to splashed or a bit of steam.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world