in ground pool de filter

For anything to do with the garden and pool
teapot

Post by teapot »

Sand is hydrophillic, its why we can build sand castles from it, try that with glass! The hydrophillic properties of sand together with the biofilm allow channelling in sand very easily. Whilst it doesn't wear out getting it clean is tedious and costly and it will happen again. It does not filter as well as AFM either.

Testing, early on AFM was tested in Scottish water sewage plants. After 10 years of that it was examined and found to be free of bacterial colonisation, by contrast sand has to be changed every 6 months if not sooner so the savings to Scottish water were immense. (Raw material, labour and downtime).
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Thanks for that Teapot, I spoke to our local pool supplier (who is independant and actually knows what shes talking about I think) and she raised some points regarding use of glass. I will start a new thread on this as it may be of general interest. I would be interested in your opinion on her views/comments.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

The biggest problem for us has been excessive suntan cream use. All around the terrace, smothered onto towels and a lot of white gunk in the sand filter. We were reduced to backwashing every couple of days with one family.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Dusty wrote:Thanks for that Teapot, I spoke to our local pool supplier (who is independant and actually knows what shes talking about I think) and she raised some points regarding use of glass. I will start a new thread on this as it may be of general interest. I would be interested in your opinion on her views/comments.
Oh no she doesn't!
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Post by teapot »

SW31 wrote:The biggest problem for us has been excessive suntan cream use. All around the terrace, smothered onto towels and a lot of white gunk in the sand filter. We were reduced to backwashing every couple of days with one family.
This is probably the biggest issue faced by renters. AFM glass washes cleaner, easier than sand but after a season of gloopy kids I would recommend soaking the filter for 24 hours in chlorine dioxide solution.

There are more advanced water treatment making their way into the pool market but I have not personally tested one so unlike others in the pool world I won't pass comment until I have.