Barn Conversion North Cornwall

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Kabarna

Barn Conversion North Cornwall

Post by Kabarna »

Hello all,

We are totally new to this, so any help is appreciated.

Our barn conversion is due to be completed hopefully within the next two months. Recently Toad Hall Cottages, Aspects Holidays and Helpful Holidays have all come to visit to give us any idea of what we can hope to charge.

In a few weeks Boutique Retreats will also visit to give us some feedback.

Does anybody reading this message have any experience with any of these companies, if so, any advice would help.

Many thanks, Lisa
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

These are not names that crop up here. How did you chance upon them?
Kabarna

Post by Kabarna »

Aspects Hoidays opened a new branch here in the local town recently. Toad Hall Cottages and Helpful Holidays are just names I have heard over the years.
Very Green
JanB

Post by JanB »

Purely from a guest perspective, I have booked through Helpful Holidays which seems to be quite a good agency managing properties in Devon and Cornwall.

My only observation would be that Helpful Holidays tend to now list their properties on Holiday Lettings and other sites, so you might find it better financial sense to handle lettings yourself, if possible.

I havent personally heard of the other two you mention.

Good luck!
"It's a funny old world...." but full of the most amazing people. :-) Sense of humour essential!
Kabarna

Post by Kabarna »

It would be great if we could manage our own bookings, but we don't have a clue how to start with that plus it's the time thing, we just don't seem to have it! Is it very hard thing to do??
Thanks
Very Green
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

I have no experience of either but have heard of both Helpful Holidays and Toad Hall in relation to other owners. HH seem to be resting on their laurels a little but I have heard a few good things about Toad Hall. In general, agencies seem to not be doing as well for their customers as in the past. I have a property I'm taking on to my website to assist with bookings; it's listed with a large UK agency and a regional one and neither are doing well on the booking front. I'm hoping I can do a little better!

If you list with a smaller agency that allows your own bookings, then you can at least get your own website plus facebook page and generate interest even if you ultimately send them to the agency you choose to handle the booking.
Martha

Post by Martha »

No specific experience with the area but just to say - we went with an agency at first and it was the right decision for us.

If you can find one you get on with, and if time is a big factor for you, it can be very helpful for the first few years. We were with an agency for the first two years while we gained experience, set up a website, we learned a lot about enquiries and management.

We arranged a reduced fee for managing guests that we had found and passed on, and after the first eighteen months we were finding than we were taking more bookings than the agency, had a good selection of our own contacts for maintenance, and could go it alone. But they were very helpful in those first couple of years.

In terms of how hard it is...not that hard once you have everything set up, but for me, it took time to get all the right templates, info etc. It used to take a lot more time than it does now. As you say time is a factor I assume you are working full time? It's quite possible to do the bookings and work full time but might be a stretch at first. When we started out, this site was extremely helpful (indispensable in fact!) both for advice and support. I found the answers to most of my questions by searching here :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I haven't heard of the agents you mention, but I agree with the comments about using an agent for the first couple of years if you are new to holiday letting and time constricted. But choose an agent who will help you with running the holiday let, not one of the biggies who just take the bookings and do nothing else. This will allow you to get to grips with managing the let and give you the knowledge and confidence to eventually take over the bookings.

I also echo the comments about using an agent who allows you to take your own bookings as well. You can build your own website and be in a position eventually use that and other booking options in support of taking and managing your own bookings.

You are wise in recognising your lack of experience and time. But you have options for dealing with these. Also LMH is a great forum for covering the many issues relating to holiday lets. Good luck with your venture.
The best things in life are free
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I would support the previous comments. Be flexible. Don't agree to an exclusive agreement. Don't agree to an agreement where they take over everything. I had an agreement once with a tiny agency where they went ballistic if I ever tried to talk to potential guests prior to booking - they were control freaks. I had to remind them I was the owner and can do what I want, and showed them the door - literally. It even took a lawyer's letter to make them return the keys.

I am in Newquay. I use SuperControl for booking management (not the cheapest but it works), and advertise with airbnb and TripAdvisor. I walked away from Homeaway with all their changes.

I also use Natural Retreats, who provide some bookings and are non-exclusive. They may be interested in 'different' properties.

An abrupt start to doing it all myself, after 3 years with agencies, but never regretted it.
Lilyofthevalley

Holiday Letting agents, Cornwall

Post by Lilyofthevalley »

Appreciate this is an old post..I just wondered what your conclusion was regarding letting agents?
I am a fairly new (1 year in) property owner and am letting my cottage through Aspects. They’re very good at some things (most guests seem to think they are fantastic!), but I am having doubts about how they treat owners.
E.g.
They don’t take damage deposits - I have been stuck with a couple of bills as a result.
They don’t actually check up on the cleaning, and that has been a bit of a nightmare due to an unreliable cleaner they appointed
They post every guest review, good or bad, on the website. Whilst honesty is a good policy, I live in fear of an unfair review I might get one day.

I am wondering if I want to try another agent.
How did you get on?