Setting up a B&B in Portugal

For everything specific to B&Bs as opposed to holiday rentals.
kimbo

Setting up a B&B in Portugal

Post by kimbo »

Hi there,

My partner (who is a Portuguese citizen) and I (English) are looking into ways to start a B&B/guesthouse in Portugal.

Unfortunately we won't have the income to generate a standard habitation mortgage and on investigation so far have heard that it is very difficult to get commercial mortgages.

So my questions are:

Has anyone had any success on this or advice regarding funding?

Secondly, we currently live in France and here it is common for couples to rent ski chalets to run as catered ski chalets. Does anyone know where to look to find properties to rent to run as B&B's?

We will sound very green as we are at the early stages of looking into this, but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys.
aasta

Post by aasta »

Hello and good luck!
We came to Portugal in 2010 and because we chose to live in the Sintra Natural Park, possibly the most expensive region of Portugal, we had to obtain a Mortgage. Our estate agent organized everything for us and we very quickly had the financing in place....It was rather difficult the first year to meet all the payments but we survived and are now doing well.. So good idea to get a good estate agent

Also it is possible to rent large manor houses in Portugal. Friends of ours have rented, with a 15 year contract, a beautiful manor house through one of the large estate agent firms and run it as a sucessful 5 room B&B
If you PM me, I can tell you which estate agents & banks we used
aasta