Newbie questions.

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Readingcorner

Newbie questions.

Post by Readingcorner »

Hi all. We have just started sorting out our cottage ready for bookings. I have a few (hundred) questions, that I hope you might help with :0).
Do all furnishings and furniture need to be flame retardant? and to what standard? Where would I buy these?
Are there any specific insurance agencies that cover holiday lets?
Electrical checks, how often?
I have been looking through the forums, which are a wealth of information, but I am somewhat overwhelmed with the amount of information.
TIA
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Unless you are going to furnish with antique soft furnishings, anything you buy these days comply with the regulations and will carry a label (take a look around the nearest furniture store). Sorry, others may remember the date that flame retardant regs came in, but I can't. It was a long time ago, though.

Insurance - look at top right hand of this screen. Others include Bochers, NFA etc but if you do a search on the site you will find plenty of references to insurance companies. You should also read the "sticky" on insurance on the Managing your Property thread.
Good luck.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

zebedee wrote:Sorry, others may remember the date that flame retardant regs came in, but I can't. It was a long time ago, though.
Prior to 2003, because I remember having a run in with Trading Standards regarding that very subject.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Electrical and gas checks - annually.

We get landlords gas safety checks annually along with a boiler service.

Electrical checks are mainly portable appliance testing which is not mandatory but goes some way to proving that you have made sure your electrical equipment is safe. We get those done annually too.

There is also an electrical inspection which would be done if you've just rewired. I think they recommend repeating it every 5 years or so.

Annual checks are also useful as the electricians often mention changes in regs, for example with smoke alarms, that we wouldn't have been aware of.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

It is worth doing risk assessments for fire, gas and electric.

They are very simple and structure the way you look at things. Four main categories:

1. Who might be at risk? List everyone, including visiting trades, those with mobility issues, and curious children.

2. The risks you observe

3. What steps taken to address the risks including those already in place? There's no such thing a zero risk, you need to take reasonable steps. Guests also have responsibility for their own health and safety and that of minors for whom they are responsible. It is not all down to the owners.

Thus, if a small child decides to take out a light bulb and stick their fingers into a live socket, although a major and terrible incident, it could well be, more, an issue of supervision than owner negligence- however ghastly, unfortunate and regrettable such an event would be. Earth trip systems would, hopefully, protect in such an event where older electric systems could represent a danger. Its all down to assessing risk.

4. Review date.

For most holiday lets, risk assessments do not need more than a page or two of A4. They show that you have taken reasonable steps and given due respect to guest safety but do not and cannot ever eliminate all risk. Owners are not expected to provide 100% risk free accommodation... it does not exist and is impossible.

The link, below, to advice on www.holidayletsforsale.com provides quite a bit more useful information. Good luck with your venture, holiday letting can be very rewarding.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
Readingcorner

Post by Readingcorner »

Thanks for the replies. 😊