washing powder/ dishwashing tablets

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
ClareW

washing powder/ dishwashing tablets

Post by ClareW »

Have searched forum and cant find any info on this- sorry, the little questions are coming thick and fast now- is it usual to supply dishwasher tablets/ washing powder(or capsules)? I am thinking of just providing a 1 or 2 of each just so guests arent caught short on arrival. People have their own opinions on what kinds of washing powder to use (bio, non bio etc). Any thoughts?

Also, have been humming and haaing about quantity of towels to provide- almost decided on 1 bathsheet, 1 hand towel and
1 face flannel per guest (the dimemma was whether to also provide mid size bath towel) plus an extra hand towel in the kitchen and bathroom. Sound ok?
mmg

Post by mmg »

I leave dishwasher tablets - one more than the number of nights guests are staying, in the hope that they will stack and turn on the dishwasher before they leave. I also leave washing machine liquitabs, I find that powder and fabric conditioner make a mess of the drawer.

I don't provide face flannels but leave two hand towels and two bath sheets per guest, one hand towel in the kitchen, one in the utility and leave at least two spare hand towels and bath towels. I have a kitchen drawer full of tea towels and oven gloves that guests can use as needed.
edinburgh

Post by edinburgh »

We don't have a dishwasher.

I don't leave washing powder for the washing machine. However, there is usually some in the adjacent cupboard, left behind by other guests.

Towels - we provide one bath sheet, one hand towel and one flannel per guest.

Like mmg, I also have a drawer full of tea towels. This has always worked fine, apart from the one occasion where a family used ten tea towels in four days....!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Speaking as a guest, one of my personal bugbears is having to buy far more than we need when we're only going to be staying for 1 week. So, for our guests, I make up plastic boxes of dishwasher tabs for the cleaner to put out on changeover. They contain more than enough for the whole stay - small box for short breaks, larger box for 7 nights or more.

We have a compact dishwasher so guests could end up running it after every meal if they're not eating out which means up to 3 tabs per day.

It's not a massive cost for us because most guests do eat out a lot so there are usually loads left over.

We also leave a box of branded liquid laundry capsules on top of the washing machine and they last quite a long time too.

If you're leaving that sort of thing it's a good idea to send your guests a list of 'things you won't need to pack' in advance.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I used to leave flannels but they were hardly ever used so I now leave 1 bath sheet and 1 hand towel per person, plus a pool towel each and hand towels in the bathrooms.

I also leave a handful of dishwasher tablets but no laundry soap.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I leave enough dishwasher tablets for their stay unless they are there for a month or longer in which case I leave one or two week's worth. I leave enough washing powder for 2 or 3 loads.

I give them a bath sheet, hand towel and face flannel (only the Americans and Canadians use these). There is a bag of old towels for hair washing, bleaching and dyeing. I suppose a lot would like a third bath towel in the collection, for hair. Extra towels for cloakroom bathroom and dressing room basins. Enough in the airing cupboard for a change half way through the week (but not many people bother).

I leave 2 drying up cloths out with a small hand towel in the kitchen (but some seem to use these for drying up as they ignore the cotton or linen ones and just use the towelling ones) and then they can raid a kitchen drawer for more.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Yes I leave both. People usually buy their own at various points too, so it's not a huge cost.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix