Owner Holidays listing site

Services offered by owners that are relevant to the business of rentals.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Thank you. 40+ years in the software business has taught me the customer always comes first, even before any shareholders or other directors. Used to lead to big arguments with my marketing director lol !
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

pambon wrote: a Silver Surfer
What makes you think I am not a silver surfer myself :lol:
pambon

Post by pambon »

I didn't make any illusion to your age Nigel! I had no idea until you mentioned 40+ years in the business!
At least you're not a dunce😀
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

pambon wrote:I didn't make any illusion to your age Nigel! I had no idea until you mentioned 40+ years in the business!
Keeping busy keeps you young! As the great Groucho Marx said, you are as old as the girl you feel boom boom!

I am 62. The great thing about getting older is you don't give a XXX about anything apart from having fun and doing what you want.

These 29 year old idiots, what do they know?

Maybe TMI ?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:
pambon wrote:I didn't make any illusion to your age Nigel! I had no idea until you mentioned 40+ years in the business!
Keeping busy keeps you young! As the great Groucho Marx said, you are as old as the girl you feel boom boom!

I am 62. The great thing about getting older is you don't give a XXX about anything apart from having fun and doing what you want.

Maybe TMI ?
Where is the like button?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:

Maybe TMI ?
George Bernard Shaw wrote that "youth is wasted on the young".

Nigel, 62 is young. Wish I was just 62!!!
pepsipuss

Post by pepsipuss »

I haven't spent a lot of time on the forum recently and in any event rarely look at owner-to-owner so I only picked this up from a reference elsewhere.

Delighted that you have got it off the ground Nigel and wish you lots of luck - I will be listing as we have recently put our decision to sell on hold for a couple of years.

Would it be a good idea to mention it in Members Only with a link to this thread? That is one place I always look when I visit and I am sure it will be the same for others.
For true domestic harmony it is essential that dogs know their place, which is below all cats

LMH Accommodation Offers Report
www.villa-rental-andalucia.com
http://www.fincalaserenidad.com
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

pepsipuss wrote: Delighted that you have got it off the ground Nigel and wish you lots of luck
Thanks. I am reluctant to be too blatant in advertising my services, that isn't what this forum is about. Viral word of mouth will prevail eventually.

Properties are continually loaded, and I have a list of organisations and individuals who have agreed to meet to see if we have any common ground.

I have had some excellent testing feedback from a member here, from which i will be making improvements over the next couple of weeks.

I do understand it takes some effort from owners to load properties, so one simply has to be patient. Many owners seems to load the basics of the property, and then come back later to load pictures and pricing. I don't publish until there is at least one good photo.

The alternative to patience is scraping and trawling, and we know where that gets us.

I'm also starting to gather resources for digital and social media marketing.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Nigel, a small bit of feedback. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see a link to add a property on the website? I assume you have to register an account and then do it? Perhaps a more obvious link or some faq's would be good. Sorry if I'm just being thick!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Jenster wrote:Nigel, a small bit of feedback. I don't know if it's just me, but I can't see a link to add a property on the website? I assume you have to register an account and then do it? Perhaps a more obvious link or some faq's would be good.
The link is there; it's a button called submit property, in the top right corner. With the image underneath it that I found, half the words have a white background and are therefore almost invisible. No wonder you missed it. Nigel a small tweak is required either with the image or the font colour. :)

I'll start a new thread in the listing site section too, as we should shout about any site that we believe may be of use to us in the future. :wink:
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Just discovered this discussion for the first time and will add my Port Leucate beach apartment on the site. Hope it doesn't get featured in Afghanistan like "Woodlands", one of the current featured properties. I drove through Afghanistan many years ago on my way to India but don't remember such stunning scenery.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
Ondine

Post by Ondine »

Just had a quick look and am considering adding my properties. I noticed 2 little issues -
1.) The Facebook & LinkedIn Plugin Tab linked to "Essence Property Newquay". Both from the homepage aswell as from a search enquiry. Maybe this is correct but I would have expected a facebook Page for the site itself.
2.) The Font colour of the Menu Tabs on the homescreen are difficult to read. Especially the white on white due to the photograph used.

Best of the luck with this project and I will look into adding our properties in the coming days.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

Thanks for mentioning.

Yes, there are a few tweaks, I am changing the way I handle countries, and the colours can do with another iteration.

I think I have enough on my list of bug fixes to keep me busy for a few days. My advantage is that I don't have to pay a developer and wait a month before they are available. My cost base is very low. It is called the 'long tail' strategy.

I am in the steps of implementing my social media strategy. Just getting the right people lined up. That side itself can easily become a full time job, if not more.

Afghanistan? It is because the index is zero, and Afghanistan is the first in the list of countries! Will be fixed shortly.

Seriously, the main issue is to understand what is meant by a country and how people use it. Officially I think it is just United Kingdom, or at least that is how most country lists behave, but people will want to search for the country Scotland, England, Wales as well as UK. I always forget whether NI is in GB or UK. So there is a bit of a hierarchy. I don't think Scotland should be treated as an 'area' of UK.

I have a solution in mind, but it just goes to show that even the most trivial aspects need a bit of thought to do it properly.

This is also why I am starting slowly, get it right, and be able to have few enough properties that corrections and updates can be handled easily. Having 10,000 properties in Afghanistan is a lot more difficult to correct than 5.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Best of luck with the new website Nigel. I've registered for an account and will upload the details for one of the houses we own either tonight or tomorrow.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I added mine yesterday and just got the email to say it's gone live :)