Bed and linen decision s

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
loveka

Bed and linen decision s

Post by loveka »

Having read this brilliant resource I have decided on the following, and would love your comments please.

Bedroom 1 is the master, so a king size bed, mattress from Mattisons, frame from Feather and Black.

Bedroom 2 a Mattisons Zip and link . I am still confused about what to get, but think I want a divan that will split into 2 2 foot 6 singles. 3 foot singles would be too big as I think that would be a super king when put together, and the room isn't big enough. Should I put a topper on when the beds are together?

Bedroom 3 Mattisons 3 foot single or small double divan. Is a small double pointless?
With Mattisons I can't really work out the difference in all the options.

Out of Eden for all bedding and towels. Is it the best quality for the price? I was going to get 3 sets of everything. The thinking is that with 3 sets you only wash once a week , even if you have 2 short breaks.

TK Maxx for a quilt for each bed. We are going for an antique look, so thought this would be nice over all white linen.

We are having a travel cot. Do we need sheets for this or do people prefer their own for babies?

Before I discovered this website I was going to invest in White Company 100% pure linen sheets etc, as it is such brilliant quality and washes so well. But I now think I am better off with Out Of Eden?

I am having Cornflower blue towels. The bathroom suite is blue (I know...) So thought blue towels would at least make it look like it matches.

Thanks!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Hello Loveka and welcome.

I supply a basic travel cot. I don't supply an extra mattress as I believe there are legal issues around potential risk of infection.

Neither do I supply any bedding. I think you would need to supply visitors with spares for their stay. And parents have different ideas on the type of bedding they use. Visitors have been happy with this arrangement.
The best things in life are free
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Re the bed sizes it depends on what market you are heading for.

2' 6" single divans are OK for children but as an adult I'd be very unhappy to find them in a twin room and if you are seeking official grading it would be worth checking that the smaller size is acceptable. It would cost me one of my stars.

If you go for fancy quilts then they need to be easily washable as you will need to launder them frequently.

You will also need mattress protectors (absolutely essential in my opinion).

Coloured towels look good at first but they fade with frequent washing and when you need to replace one (as you will) it will be noticeable. Manufacturers also have an annoying habit of discontinuing the fashion colours so you may have trouble getting matching replacements a few months later.

I've gone for cream as I find the white a bit too institutional and I can even see colour variations there over the months. Mine are now 2 seasons old and I'll be replacing the lot next week with more cream ones.
loveka

Post by loveka »

Yes, I was thinking of the twin beds for children. I think a super king bed would just be too big, as the room is 3.7 m square.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

loveka wrote:Yes, I was thinking of the twin beds for children. I think a super king bed would just be too big, as the room is 3.7 m square.
It depends on where doors are of course, but a quick calculation says that with a 6ft (1820mm) wide bed (ie 2 adult singles/1 superking) you end up with about 940mm on each side which is plenty for a pair of bedside tables/chests, and for access. The extra bonus is that a 6ft bed from a pair of 3ft wide zip/linked is much more comfortable than a 5ft bed from a pair of 2ft 6in where someone is likely to end up on the join.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I meant to add - what is your target market? Will you be attracting lots of parents plus two kids groups, or two couples, or four friends? That has some bearing on bed choice - if you have the option.
newtimber

Re: Bed and linen decision s

Post by newtimber »

loveka wrote: Out of Eden for all bedding and towels. Is it the best quality for the price? I was going to get 3 sets of everything. The thinking is that with 3 sets you only wash once a week , even if you have 2 short breaks.
Are you thinking of sending away the laundry (in which case 3 sets won't be enough) or washing everything yourself? If washing everything yourself, how are you going to wash and dry 2 changeovers in one sitting? This is a lot of washing, drying, ironing ...

If using a laundry service, it's not worth buying expensive sheets/towels as they can get damaged/lost. You will find that things get damaged by guests anyway. Out of Eden is quite expensive for certain items so you need to do a bit of research.
loveka

Post by loveka »

Thanks all.

I am trying to appeal to a wide market, so a couple with children, or 2 couples. I suppose I am trying not to rule anyone out. I did consider zip and link for the main bedroom too, but I thought it was getting a bit complicated!

I thought about putting a topper on might help with the join on a zip and link bed.

We will have a house manager to do the sheets etc. I though if we had 3 sets she could have one ready to go on the beds and wouldn't have to do 2 lots of washing in a week if we had short breaks.

Maybe a laundry would be a better idea though?

I though Out of Eden looked really cheap. I am just comparing it to what I buy at home though!

I have had sheets in the past that have bobbled within a few washes, and want to avoid that!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I bought all my sheets from Linens Limited - great value for Egyptian cotton and I have four sets per bed (one on, one in the wash and two ready). I kicked off with just flat sheets but at the request of my managers changed to fitted. Still have masses of flat sheets though as most of the year in Spain no duvet or quilt required! Travel cot was from John Lewis and I do not provide any additional bedding for this. I agree that 2'6" beds are not suitable for adults. Better to have a zip & link superking which provides two standard 3' singles even if space is a bit tight. http://www.linenslimited.com/egyptian-cotton
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Casscat wrote:I kicked off with just flat sheets but at the request of my managers changed to fitted.
Our fitted sheets all shrink in the laundry so that the cleaner found it really difficult to stretch them over the beds! She requested I buy flat sheets in future!
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

newtimber wrote:
Casscat wrote:I kicked off with just flat sheets but at the request of my managers changed to fitted.
Our fitted sheets all shrink in the laundry so that the cleaner found it really difficult to stretch them over the beds! She requested I buy flat sheets in future!
And my flat sheets shrank and then they wouldn't 'tuck' satisfactorily so you can't win whatever you do! :lol:
Martha

Post by Martha »

Our fitted sheets from King of Cotton are still in great shape after seven years (all our linen from them is, actually). White Company is lovely but I do find we get the odd tear from guests/laundry etc so it would be a push too far for me in terms of price...depends on your market though.

Ours is all 400 thread count and I get a lot of comments on how nice it is.

I agree 100% about mattress protectors - vital! And spares for when they need to be washed. And pillow protectors.

I use a topper on the linked beds where possible, the problem is the storage when they are not linked.

We have two sets of beds with storage inside them, very very useful. If I can find some more at a good price, I'll replace the others.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
G.H

Post by G.H »

Wow these http://www.linenslimited.com/linens-lim ... ite-double are great prices! I'm off to Ikea tomorrow I was going to get their duvet covers (Haxort 303.139.38) which are £35 for a double duvet and 4 pillow cases but I'm wondering whether to get the linens limited instead. We use Ikea ones at home and their more expensive ones have worn well plus I like the little bit of dark grey embroidery on them but they're only 250 thread count. Decisions decisions its impossible!