PayPal - policy update

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
greenfrog

PayPal - policy update

Post by greenfrog »

Has anyone read through new PayPal policy update, coming in October?
It includes fascinating new rules about not dissuading people from using PayPal, including:
"In representations to your customers or in public communications, you shall not mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method."

:shock: :roll:

I take the view that I have every right to disparage a service that isn't doing what it should! Not convinced it's even legal to demand I be nice about them, even in public communications, since France allows a level of comparative advertising.

Anyway, I just liked this new low in paranoia and OCD behaviour. :P
Lounging on the lily pad...
Essar

Re: PayPal - policy update

Post by Essar »

greenfrog wrote:"...you shall not mischaracterise or disparage PayPal as a payment method.

As I understand it we have to mischaracterise PayPal because to not is wrong..... :?
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

After some friends who also own a holiday let recently got rolled over by PP when a guest was a no show and they reversed the £ collected for a booking on the basis "goods weren't shipped" I wouldn't ever touch PP with a barge poll for taking £ for our holiday lets.

Which means I'm open to slander them as I see fit on the interpipes :) But, actually, i do have personal accounts... what a dilemma!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Interesting Robin, thanks for sharing that. I have long disliked using Paypal as a mechanism for accepting payments and rarely do so now, thankfully.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Robin @ One Spring wrote:After some friends who also own a holiday let recently got rolled over by PP when a guest was a no show and they reversed the £ collected for a booking on the basis "goods weren't shipped" I wouldn't ever touch PP with a barge poll for taking £ for our holiday lets...
Then you should not accept any credit cards, not book through any listing site and probably not take personal cheques. Cash is the only safe way to do business.

See viewtopic.php?t=26748 to see that PayPal is not unique.

As a rule, credit card companies will always err on the side of the consumer - thanks to Martin Lewis and his brethren on TV and in the Daily Wail, but that doe snot mean we have to roll over and just accept it. Fight back when you are in the right.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My Paypal account does not produce invoices with a 'shipping address' as there are no goods to ship, it is a payment for services.