Teething problems!!

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
oldpolicehouse

Teething problems!!

Post by oldpolicehouse »

Morning, I am ready for my first guests on Wednesday...I went in yesterday to make sure things were ok and hook up the dvd player....I dscovered that the main TV was not working!! emergency phonecall to Tesco and exchange available if they have one that size!...I ordered outside furniture through a company on Amazon and they failed to deliver...so I ordered from another company and its lost somewhere....who looses a 6 seater table and chairs!!! I was clothes shopping in Inverness yesterday and a company was selling in the square .. a nice selection .. so bought some and it is arriving Saturday!...It is just so stressful just now...The drive was Tarred on Friday and the gates are going on today!....aagghhhh
tavi

Post by tavi »

good morning OPH - wow I can imagine the stress levels!

Hope all goes well.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

You are braver than I was!

Our first "guests" were friends who got a free week long holiday in return for giving the cottage a good beta test from a guests perspective!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Cymraes wrote:You are braver than I was!

Our first "guests" were friends who got a free week long holiday in return for giving the cottage a good beta test from a guests perspective!
Exactly what we did! (Apart from the "free" bit.... big discount though, over 50% IIRC.)
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Cymraes wrote:You are braver than I was!

:lol: :lol: same as us! Well they weren't friends but got a good price for testing us out. Just as well because we had no wardrobe doors and the electric supply only got hooked up the morning of their arrival! :shock: :shock:

Mousie
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
oldpolicehouse

aye stressed!

Post by oldpolicehouse »

well ok the parents in law had the first night! but this is the first paying guests and DISASTER has struck ..well ok those thing that has set to try me!!! The new 48" tv stopped working..no power ...dead! just as well I tested it!...replaced today ... the outside 6 seater dining furniture has not arrived and this is the 2nd lot ordered as the first lot never arrived (different company) but it will be here on Friday and another set which I bought in Inveress while out clothes shopping the other day!! but I have given them mine till then....the joiner was hanging the gates!!! and he put the drill through his hand and went off to A&E..!!! The gates have a 7" gap at the bottom due to the rise in the drive...but I have an idea to fix it...My mother is moving house next week and it is my job to do all the arranging!! still at lease I have 10 bookings that I can't complain about all in a week! I need a good drink! wish me luck x
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I've just taken a quick look at your website and your property looks really great and of a high standard.

I would suggest you let your guests know that they are the first - I am sure they will be delighted to know no one else has stayed at the cottage before and everything is brand spanking new. Tell them you would appreciate any feedback. I remember the very first comment in our visitor book from our first ever guests and the comments were lovely.

I know it is hectic at the moment, but you have achieved so much which you probably can't see through the nerves.

Have that wee dram (or large glass of wine would be mine) and try and relax. You are doing everything right. After this week, you will be able to manage anything!!!n :D :D :D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

The first paid rental is always a real stress-inducer - in fact it doesn't get a whole lot easier by the 21st! The fact that you are taking such care over making sure that everything is spot on will ensure that you make your guests feel very welcome and this will show in their feelings about your place and the feedback you receive. I know I'm only in my third season, but I have never stopped caring about people's impressions of my place and the experience they have staying there. Keep on caring, keep on going that extra mile, keep on smiling even when things go a bit pear-shaped and you will have a great property hosted by great owners that guests will return to and recommend.
oldpolicehouse

Thank you

Post by oldpolicehouse »

Thank you so much and thank you Zebedee for looking at my site..and thank you for the lovey comment it is so nice to hear x ..I sat in the house last night and gave myself a wee pat on the back for my effort...I would love to stay there! maybe as my kids were not there and no mum mum mum.... I will certainly appreciate any holiday home we go to in the future... the work put in etc...well I had better get on and get the gates painted!! and stock the fridge....Thanks again x