Please consider a second referendum....

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Sandra

Please consider a second referendum....

Post by Sandra »

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

If you still feel strongly that you want to remain in the EU then what harm will it do to sign.. Farage himself said that if it was 48 to 52, it would have to be rerun. He will deny that now, of course as he was thinking of a remain win.
Do send the link to all your pals, please.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Farage and Co have said many things which will reveal themselves to be complete lies over the next few years as the public slowly learns what exactly they voted for.

2.8 million signatures now. I wonder what would happen if it could reach 15 million or so?
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

I've got my fingers crossed that it won't actually happen! I know everyone that voted out thinks the government have to listen, but they don't. Apparently in British law, only Parliament can make the actual decision and right now Cameron has given them breathing space by resigning. As far as I know only Britain can invoke 'article 50' and that won't happen until a new PM is in place. I've got everything crossed that sense will prevail as most of Parliament really do not want this.
I'm getting slightly madder, each and every day!
CSE

Post by CSE »

Why? It is not as if you did not know about the first one. They should have voted in the first place. That is the point of democracy, one can vote.

The whole thing is a mess. Dave resigns but said he was not going to. Thus leaderless nothing can be done which totally makes the system fail.
Calls for changes to the Labour party, from someone who is only a shadow of his father and not to be believed.
The leaders of the Leave side is not to be believed.
In fighting in the Conservatives. Scotland wants to talk to the EU. London wants a seat at the exit table.

This situation will be even worse if there was a second ref. In the last referendum it took about 6 months between the act of parliament and holding it. Months and months of discussions before hand not only in the UK parliament, but with the EU. All of this will make the hanging situation only worse. We have to move on now.

One last thing, there was not a second on the one on when the UK entered.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Ki ... ndum,_1975
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

I don't think there will be a second referendum, it's not needed. A referendum, apparently, doesn't have to be acted upon, governments can ignore the outcome if they think it's not in the best interests of the country, (not having one in the first place might have been a much better idea!). They've also got a 'get out' clause, as the 'out' vote did not get the 60% of the vote that it needed. It's a slim hope but one I'm holding onto right now!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

DebsPlace wrote:I don't think there will be a second referendum, it's not needed. A referendum, apparently, doesn't have to be acted upon, governments can ignore the outcome if they think it's not in the best interests of the country, (not having one in the first place might have been a much better idea!). They've also got a 'get out' clause, as the 'out' vote did not get the 60% of the vote that it needed. It's a slim hope but one I'm holding onto right now!
A lot of us are Deb
CSE

Post by CSE »

DebsPlace wrote:I don't think there will be a second referendum, it's not needed. A referendum, apparently, doesn't have to be acted upon, governments can ignore the outcome if they think it's not in the best interests of the country, (not having one in the first place might have been a much better idea!). They've also got a 'get out' clause, as the 'out' vote did not get the 60% of the vote that it needed. It's a slim hope but one I'm holding onto right now!
But how can the UK sort this out. The PM is not in charge, there is in fighting with both major parties. Just read the news this morning.

Or maybe the conspiracists are correct! :(
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

I'm also hoping and praying they won't go through with it... It's madness... The result was far too close. Who is going to be "brave" enough (i.e. crazy enough) to set things in motion? I'm sure you've all read the comments by MP David Lammy which offers the tiniest hope...?
pambon

Post by pambon »

casasantoestevo wrote:Why? It is not as if you did not know about the first one. They should have voted in the first place. That is the point of democracy, one can vote.

The whole thing is a mess. Dave resigns but said he was not going to. Thus leaderless nothing can be done which totally makes the system fail.
Calls for changes to the Labour party, from someone who is only a shadow of his father and not to be believed.
In fighting in the Conservatives. Scotland wants to talk to the EU. London wants a seat at the exit table.

This situation will be even worse if there was a second ref. In the last referendum it took about 6 months between the act of parliament and holding it. Months and months of discussions before hand not only in the UK parliament, but with the EU. All of this will make the hanging situation only worse. We have to move on now.

And the plot thickens.
Add to all that (as if it isn't enough) the shockwaves around the world.
Spain voting today is wondering if Brexit will influence the voters.
Trump loud mouthing his head off from Scotland.
Australia resurrecting its republican hopes.
Putin and China smirking away.
ISIS rubbing their hands in glee seeing a weaker EU.

What a terrible Pandora's box has been opened upon the world geopolitical scene.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Emmy wrote:I'm also hoping and praying they won't go through with it... It's madness... The result was far too close. Who is going to be "brave" enough (i.e. crazy enough) to set things in motion? I'm sure you've all read the comments by MP David Lammy which offers the tiniest hope...?
Question: Do you not accept that the Conservatives into power with a small majority based on just 37 percent of the vote?
Point: David Lammy won his seat with a majority of just 55% of the turn out. On a turn out of just 47.8% of those eligible to vote. Do you feel he should resign? and stand for a re-election?

This could get oh so silly if you have this sort of rebuff going on.
The solution is simple. The World/EU/UK/Scotland need be more settled thus we need leadership. The way things are there is no clue where that is going to come from.
tavi

Post by tavi »

casasantoestevo wrote:Why? It is not as if you did not know about the first one. They should have voted in the first place. That is the point of democracy, one can vote.

the referendum you refer to had a 67.23% in favour of staying 32.77% against --- a much much clearer majority than the result of this one.

The irony of this petition is that it was started by a LEAVE supporter in May. He clearly thought at the time that Leave would lose by a small margin and that there should be provision for a second referendum in that case as did Farage who asked for the same thing (now conveniently forgotten?) Now the Remain supporters are using his same logic! and his same petition (which was practically ignored when he first started it!) In fact it's true it's too big a decision to be taken on such a small majority.

There are literally thousands signing it every minute - it may not trigger a new referendum but..............
CSE

Post by CSE »

.....and you get stuipds like this "I did not think"!!!!!!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03zjmdp
Why give these idiots a second chance in life? Maybe we can give Dave another go? Maybe he will step up and stop the Boris' of this world.
Nope; there is no second chance in life. No second chance with your life.
We all know that there are no second chances to change your mind. We all have to live with decisions we make.
DebsPlace

Post by DebsPlace »

Harold Wilson had a referendum on the EU in 1975 but made clear that a referendum is only advisory, (pity no one thought to do the same all these years later). Experts say it will have to be a full act of Parliament before anyone in UK can invoke article 50, so I'm assuming that it will have to get through both the Commons & Lords. Maybe, just maybe this is the huge 'wake up' call that UK politics has needed for a long time, time to seriously consider what is good for the country and do it fast. If Boris becomes the interim PM, (likely?), I seriously wouldn't be surprised if he has a complete change of mind,'only for the good of the UK'. I'm cynical when it comes to politics but still hanging onto hope.
CSE

Post by CSE »

But tavi that is the point. No matter who won there was no talk of a second referendum. What happen happened. End of story.
Have you got facts behind your comments about the present second referendum quest?
Question: What if there is one?
Just how long before the mess is sorted out to this counter claim referendum?
What is the cost, money wise?
What is the cost to society?
Just how much damage will it do to the EU to politics?

Sorry but the debate went on for a long time. Now reflect on that choice and make it work. For the good of this world.
CSE

Post by CSE »