Washing machine failure

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sanchisimo

Washing machine failure

Post by Sanchisimo »

Our three-month old integrated washing machine has broken down and as it is under guarantee we will have to get a technician out to look at it. The problem is that it in a one bedroom apartment with an open-plan living/dining/kitchen area. We have guests pretty much booked through to October. Do we just ask each set if they would be happy for a repair to be done while they are staying there and hope one of them agrees? Given that the guests are there for a city break I don't want their stay to be too disrupted, especu¡ially as for most of them the washing machine isn't a big deal.

Any advice or experience gratefully received!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Why can't you do it on a changeover day?

If not, then it needs to be done asap as your incoming guests may need to use the washing machine - they may have been touring and arrived with dirty washing.

There is no point asking the guests if they would be happy - just apologise, the washing machine needs fixing and tell them it is being fixed on such and such a day.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You'll get grief if you don't fix it ASAP and possibly grief if you do. As Newtimber says, don't ask but tell them it will be repaired. I would try and arrange it during the daytime when they're most likely to be out in any case, rather than say early morning. All you need to do is appologise for the inconvenience (even if not your fault)
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

+1

Just get it done asap. The chances are that they won't be disrupted at all if they are on a city break. Just explain that it has only just failed and this is the earliest you could get it fixed. Apologise for the inconvenience and offer a small gesture (not monetary), and I'm sure they will be very understanding and not in the least bit bothered.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Agree with all the above...

I know that it can be tricky arranging a repair - especially under a guarantee.

My washing machine broke down recently but it had been there for some years & I wanted to replace it ...

My housekeeper offered to do washing for the guests - they declined. They were given a bottle of wine....

Fortunately I had a few days with no guests subsequently and could arrange for the new machine to be delivered & the old one taken away..
Sanchisimo

Post by Sanchisimo »

Oh yes, already happened. We were told yesterday that the machine wasn´t working and today we had new arrivals from Canada on the third and final leg of a tour of Andalucía. With washing.

You are all quite right, get someone to fix it and find out if the time is convenient for the guests. The trouble is that from experience here that with any 'under guarantee' repair they are not terribly flexible over timings. "Monday morning" can be anything from 9 am to 1 pm. The apartment is a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of the city, most guests don't use the machine and I'm not sure they want to sit there while the kitchen is being taken apart. At our rural house we would just take it away and bring a new one.

In the meantime we will offer service wash....