Shortage of fuel any impact on arrivals?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Sandra

Shortage of fuel any impact on arrivals?

Post by Sandra »

Just wondering has it had any impact on due arrivals for guests, are any showing concern, any had problems getting the fuel when the come off the boat etc. Hire cars I wonder if they have a full tank of fuel on collection?
Are you concerned?
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

Very concerned. With little or no interest in bookings this year this is the last straw. My OH read a comment yesterday from someone who has holidayed in France for many, many years and has just had to cancel. They said they would not be booking any more holidays in France. We are caretakers for gites and we are due to have 3 lots of home owners arriving this weekend (no bookings so using their properties themselves). If any of them get here that is.

The French are destroying their own country and with tourism down the last couple of years, due to many reasons, this could be the final blow. Oh, and air traffic controllers are going on strike again next week.

Oh to win the lottery this weekend and give up on this insane way of trying to earn a living.
chipiechoo

Post by chipiechoo »

Our next guests from the UK have already queried our take on this situation :? and have indicated the possibility of cancellation.
All somewhat worrying as we are reasonably well booked up for the entire season. Obviously nothing of comfort one can say apart from the fact that this French Govt will probably back down in due course, hopefully sooner rather than later.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Frenchlady wrote:Very concerned. With little or no interest in bookings this year this is the last straw. My OH read a comment yesterday from someone who has holidayed in France for many, many years and has just had to cancel. They said they would not be booking any more holidays in France. We are caretakers for gites and we are due to have 3 lots of home owners arriving this weekend (no bookings so using their properties themselves). If any of them get here that is.

The French are destroying their own country and with tourism down the last couple of years, due to many reasons, this could be the final blow. Oh, and air traffic controllers are going on strike again next week.

Oh to win the lottery this weekend and give up on this insane way of trying to earn a living.
I am sorry but couldn't disagree with you more.
We have no problems with fuel supply here after the "panic buying" bubble, Guests arrive this weekend and we have told them to fill up in UK before leaving and that should be enough to get them here.
The French are not ruining their country as its only FO and CGT unions which are calling their members out for what they see as a legitimate industrial dispute (discuss) and have only a small percentage of the total workforce as members.
I would rather live in a country that has a strong balance between the multi-nationals and the employees rather than that which the UK for instance has become. (See the raid on Google France HQ) The major problem in France that has not been tackled with the new law is the situation of the overprotected "fonctionaires", until that is addressed head on then what the government is doing is tinkling around the edges.
I do not support the current actions by CGT/FO but I do defend their legitimate right to withdraw their labour, the violence is as always a small minority with other aims.
What would Plato do ?
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

just received a cancellation of a 5 day B&B booking from southern France, am expecting guests this weekend driving from germany, Uk via the tunnel & flying in from US....... have advised the Uk family to fill up in UK & will keep them advised on where to buy petrol during their stay, so fingers crossed. Some local expat ladies in a fb group have set up a 'jungle drums' system whereby we all report where we see petrol available + this weeks Scottish guests have been joining in.....but have no hope of getting many more bookings now for rest of year. The French are going to sit it out & anyone in other countries is going to see what is happening & think "I'll give France a miss this year.." Personally feel the govt shouldn't back down as if they do, then that is it for any progress in France..... they have blown their chance of getting the Olympic bid, & the Euro football could be a disaster..
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

I've been proactively emailing guests who are due to arrive during the next month to allay any possible fears about getting fuel locally. We have no shortages here - prices are up a bit, but that's all. There's no panic buying, fortunately - I filled up yesterday (because my tank was almost empty) at my usual petrol station, and I was one of just two people there. I find that if you give people real information, not the scaremongering that they're likely to find on Anglo-type sites, then they'll be a lot less concerned, so I'm giving them links to websites which update fuel information in real time and will tell them which petrol stations are open/closed/have run out of one fuel or another.

Personally I form a part of the 70% of French people who support the current action - the new employment laws, if they go through unamended, would have a totally devastating effect on very many working people here. I'm proud to live in a country where people still protest.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

There have been big problems with fuel availability here in Brittany where there are a lot of militants.
The prefet has now lifted the restrictions on buying fuel (queuing for 3 mins for 10€ of fuel was ridiculous) so I hope things will improve.
I agree with the right to protest but totally disagree with the action, particularly the SNCF train drivers whose favourable conditions date back to the time that their job was actually very physically hard, when coal was used to fuel trains. It is no longer the case but they still work very few hours and retire very early. Don't get me started on the civil servants. And my sons teachers have been on strike 4 Thursdays in the last 7 weeks.
The employment laws need to be changed if the government wants small and medium businesses to employ people to reduce the very high unemployment rate. It costs a fortune to take on salariés and it is impossible to lay them off without paying a fortune. France does a lot of things right but some changes are needed if it wants to compete globally. The majority of French people I know (who work) also agree that something needs to be done.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

No problems or concerns raised from our current guests so far, but enquiries have dried up totally, we still have some availability in Sept and we would normally see some enquiries for that period around now, so we are pretty sure that the situation is putting people off.
No problems to date with fuel shortages around us in the Dordogne so far luckily.
France does need to do something about their employment laws. The current laws are fine when the economy is growing faster than the population but in todays world that is no longer the case. Here are 3 examples that highlight the problems from a small business viewpoint:
Our local hairdresser has got her salon set up with 2 stations but she is unwilling to take on extra staff because of the high costs incurred and the difficulties of getting rid of them if required. She can see her potential customers walk past her window all day long but can't do anything about accommodating them. She would love to take on an apprentice but really can't take the risk, which, given the problem with youth unemployment is a real shame.
Her husband runs a small building firm but restricts his business to that he can handle with his current workforce. He would love to grow the business and in particular would look to take on apprentices but again due to the employment laws cannot afford to do so. It seems the only way young people can get jobs in this part of the world is to either move away or get employment with relatives or family friends.
Our neighbour has run a small estate agency for the past 20 years. He has been told he has to attend a compulsory 2 day course in Bordeaux on 'how to run a business'. This not only takes him away from his business for 2 days, but he also has to pay for the privilege of attending the course (500€) and pay for overnight accommodation as its too far to travel there and back every day. His view is that if the government continue to put these restrictions on business he will simply close up.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We, personally, are not having problems getting fuel but enquiries have dried up - and the level of enquiries wasn't great before. What with the uncertainty of Brexit, villa advertising on TV, cheap all-inclusive holidays to the US etc., the immigrant camp at Calais, air and train strikes this fuel problem is the last straw.

I agree with Dusty. My husband runs a small business and only takes on work he can do by himself or with occasional help from another self-employed, local chap. Ten years ago he had three or four salaried workers but the cost and administration of employing them was a costly, bureaucratic nightmare.

Small businesses in France are being strangled while civil servants and the like are sitting pretty.

I agree something has to change but we may go broke in the meantime through lack of gite income.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Here in the Languedoc, fuel seems to be ok. There were some patchy problems on Wednesday - probably due to panic-buying - but everything was open and selling on Thursday.

Moliere
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

BBC News have just announced that the RAC is advising holidaymakers to cancel trips to France this weekend!😕

On the news last night they reported Brittany Ferries had some delays and couple of crossings had been cancelled. Some airlines hit by ATC disruption.

I think it's a good idea to be proactive and contact guests with news about the situation where you are.
Fleur
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Having some guests to contact would be nice! :?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Fleur wrote:BBC News have just announced that the RAC is advising holidaymakers to cancel trips to France this weekend!
Oh FFS ...

My Sunday arrival emailed me last night and said that much of the UK coverage is of the screaming 'it's the end of the world as we know it' type!

What a contrast to the coverage on the media here ....
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

la vache! wrote: I agree with the right to protest but totally disagree with the action, particularly the SNCF train drivers whose favourable conditions date back to the time that their job was actually very physically hard, when coal was used to fuel trains. It is no longer the case but they still work very few hours and retire very early. Don't get me started on the civil servants. And my sons teachers have been on strike 4 Thursdays in the last 7 weeks.
The employment laws need to be changed if the government wants small and medium businesses to employ people to reduce the very high unemployment rate. It costs a fortune to take on salariés and it is impossible to lay them off without paying a fortune. France does a lot of things right but some changes are needed if it wants to compete globally. The majority of French people I know (who work) also agree that something needs to be done.
+1

How can they get away with it? I didnt vote for this government but i obey the laws they lay down.
They say everyone has a right to strike but i dont im not going to turn my guests away & say sorry guys i cant let you in im on strike! Or take our foster children back to the social services for a couple of days. Anyway rant over, here is a copy of some info i found in the Telegraph today:

FAQ | France half-term holiday travel chaos
I have booked a holiday in France, should I still go?

Yes, but make sure you have a full tank of fuel before you leave Britain. Keep checking for updates – if the fuel crisis worsens, you may wish to re-think your travel plans.

Should I bring a jerrycan of fuel with me?

No, it is dangerous to carry petrol or diesel for prolonged periods in a confined space like a car or ferry. French authorities only permit motorists to bring 10 litres of additional fuel into the country, which is enough to drive 70 to 100 miles. Ferry operators also limit the amount of fuel you can bring, and some such as P&O do not permit the carrying of any additional fuel in cans at all.

Which French petrol stations still have fuel left in them?

The best way to check is by looking at the website mon-essence.fr which has a constantly updating map showing which petrol stations have run out of fuel.

What should I do if I run out of petrol in France?

Make sure you don’t leave it until the last minute to fill up your tank. Instead, look out for petrol stations long in advance. Petrol stations in rural areas such as towns and villages are more likely to have fuel than those along motorways and near ports.

How can I make my fuel last longer?

You can modify your driving to save fuel: keep your speed down, avoid accelerating sharply, and taking your foot slowly off the gas before braking. [/i]

I sent it to my guest who is arriving Sunday the website regarding the petrol stations looks useful
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Unfortunately the website you speak of Bassman is not very accurate and up to date as it relies on individual reports by joe public.
We have guests arriving Saturday and I have been keeping them abreast of the situation locally, ie no shortages. He replied that he had 2 friends who travelled down to Nice and no problems on the motorways for fuel.
"Fog in the Channel- Europe cut-off" mentality of the UK press (and frankly the Leave campaign !)
What would Plato do ?