Making sure people are your expected guests

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
annedab

Post by annedab »

lester1meg wrote:I've just turned down a booking from Airbnb because the guests said 'we have posted a picture of our backyard because we don't want people to be able to recognise us on line.'
:roll:
Sort of missed the point there then - unless perhaps it is a Mr and Mrs Beckham (other celebrity couples are available) :lol:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
tavi

Post by tavi »

annedab wrote:
lester1meg wrote:I've just turned down a booking from Airbnb because the guests said 'we have posted a picture of our backyard because we don't want people to be able to recognise us on line.'
:roll:
Sort of missed the point there then - unless perhaps it is a Mr and Mrs Beckham (other celebrity couples are available) :lol:
Why is a photo necessary to book a property? Is a photo any guarantee of anything?
Essar

Post by Essar »

I have had enquiries from AB travellers showing a photo of their dog playing in the sea! When I queried it with AB as a verification method they removed the offending photo and the verification for that enquirer - within 30-minutes of me querying it.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
tavi

Post by tavi »

So If I book your property you want to see a photo of me before you accept me as a guest?

(I can understand this in the original ABB format where I was sharing a room in your house, but not where I am renting your villa and I am verfied by ABB themselves using other methods, ID, registration, login, creditcard details, length of membership).
annedab

Post by annedab »

tavi wrote:So If I book your property you want to see a photo of me before you accept me as a guest?
No, but airbnb's rules say that you have to, and the OP said that the enquiry was through airbnb - not sure how they verify that is is actually you though (or if the picture is a little out of date :oops:)
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Essar

Post by Essar »

One of the biggest problems with AB for holiday rental whole properties is that there are still thousands who use it who still have the shared room mentality.

On AB I get lots of enquiries of which I reject a good 60% - purely for the reason that they tend to be groups of people on stags or hens - they don't appreciate that we are not a party property, but a family friendly property. When this is pointed out in a subtle way - "situated in a quiet residential development of families and retirees" - they get cold feet and sometimes pull out themselves. The fact that they have to post a photograph often gives away the age group - if you fb them you will sometimes see the party photos of the drunken mob of friends enjoying themselves. Of course they could post a picture of their mum or dad; but when they have to complete the booking form before I accept the booking they will then have to really lie to me.

I like the concept of AB and I do get good guests (when I take them) - I some in at the moment and they are a family; mum, dad, two kids and granny (perfick!).
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Essai, while I fully understand your reluctance to accept a booking from party animals, I am gob smacked that ABB do this... what if you're racist holiday home owner, or anti gay or the likes and reject a booking just on the basis that the photo is the wrong colour?? Surely this could result in discrimination!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I had no idea that AbnB required what I believe they refer to as "travellers" (one of the most derogatory terms in common usage in the UK) to provide photos of themselves. What is the justification for this, and how is this supposed to influence the owner (or, as I believe AbnB call them, the "host" - ie something attractive to a parasite) when it comes to determining the suitability or otherwise of the "traveller" (or as everyone here would be dealing with, a "guest")?
Degrading, discriminatory and an invasion of privacy that's several steps too far. I can just about see it for hard-up homeowners wanting to make a bit of cash under the radar from backpackers and dossers looking for an airbed on the floor and a bit of breakfast, not for bona fide holiday rental owners in the business of offering their valuable properties as self-catering accommodation to discerning guests looking for their dream.

Just extend the idea a mere fraction: "Thank you for your enquiry for our holiday property; please send a photo of yourself and all in your party so that I can determine if you are suitable". Er, no thanks - we'll keep looking for somewhere where the owners have some respect, professionalism and integrity.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

For the last few weeks I've simply asked for the name of the person who booked the cottage and there post code and I haven't been asked why or denied the info yet.

Gives me additional peace of mind and adds a layer of professionalism perhaps.

Not worked out in my mind yet what to do or say if the person at the door can't offer the correct info or doesn't know who booked or what there post code is yet!