First set of clients have left

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
SW31

First set of clients have left

Post by SW31 »

Well, that was a good learning curve!

Only smoking outside allowed means only standing outside as far as the back door - so the breeze then blows the smoke inside. The bins stink of cigarettes.
Two of my lovely Frette towels were washed with black items. I've got most of the discolouration out but they're not as white as the remaining towels.
I don't think one of them showered while here as pillows were so discoloured I had to wash the pillow protectors as well.
The weather wasn't great here in France, until they left. They ramped the heaters up to maximum and the place was like a sauna.
We supplied a lot of things including a welcome pack and plenty of larder items. They bought 11 bottles of wine and then asked for more toilet rolls - couldn't they have bought 4 rolls it is supposed to be self catering after all!

This was an early booking made without a security deposit - all future bookings now have this in place. We will revise wording on welcome pack to make it clearer that people do have to buy things during they stay.

We set up the gite more with an English clientele in mind and stated it was unsuitable for children. So far bookings coming in are from the French - which is fine but I will need to work more on my French!
Just had an inquiry for a week from an uk family of four who question why not suitable for two children. If I say it's unsuitable I mean unsuitable - which part don't they get.
:roll:
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Well done for getting through your first rental! :D I specify no smoking in house or grounds, i.e. it's a completely non smoking property. I'm not sure if this is wholly adhered to, but I think it is likely to put chain smokers off.

Provide enough towels so your guests will only have to wash their own clothes while at the property. All towels and linens are laundered by my managers and guests are not expected to wash this sort of stuff themselves.

I have never taken a security deposit and by and large don't regret this. I do, however, provide masses of toilet rolls!

I also state that my property is unsuitable for small children, but then go on to explain why (it's rustic land, uneven, uncultivated outside the pool and 'garden' area, full of cacti, snakes, scorpions and other critters plus the pool is unfenced). I still get lots of bookings from families with small children but at least they have been warned....
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Congratulations on surviving the first rental!
Essar

Post by Essar »

Yes congratulations from me too - that curve will start to straighten out and a year from now you'll be just another expert! :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"