Brexit 2016 Bookings !

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Jensen

Brexit 2016 Bookings !

Post by Jensen »

We had one of our best years in 2015 since 2008 with the pound gaining strengh against the Euro ! 2016 was very promising until Brexit came into the actuality and the pound crashed again and since have not taken a single booking !

How are you lot doing ?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Similar, we had our best ever summer and a good winter ski season last year, but things are coming in very slowly right now, which is not helped by some posturing by the French ESF ski school over British ski schools, tour operators and ski clubs.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Similar here.........last year I had loads of UK bookings early 2015 for Spring and Summer 2015.

This year is quite different though a lot more UK enquiries (through OD) the last week or two...for some reason.

My main property has a lot of repeats so not really affected and my Portuguese guests seem to be doing as normal which is booking very late - they don't need flights.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

Same here last year was our best, this year is slow but i think it is picking up. We are putting a lot of effort now into season 2017 everything has changed and so must we!
We also organise the bookings for a good quality gite in our village no facilities but a well priced well equipped & good location. Their bookings are down 50%, why? ABB? With all the extra work on marketing our place i dont have the time anymore to market theirs.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

Bassman wrote:Same here last year was our best, this year is slow but i think it is picking up. We are putting a lot of effort now into season 2017 everything has changed and so must we!
Do you mean in relation to the possibility of Brexit or the changes to listing sites ?

Our 2016 is about the same as 2015 which was better than 2014. However not as good as our first years in 1997/8 in terms of weeks let, but then lots more properties in the market now in this part of France.
What would Plato do ?
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

bornintheuk wrote:
Bassman wrote:Same here last year was our best, this year is slow but i think it is picking up. We are putting a lot of effort now into season 2017 everything has changed and so must we!
Do you mean in relation to the possibility of Brexit or the changes to listing sites ?

Our 2016 is about the same as 2015 which was better than 2014. However not as good as our first years in 1997/8 in terms of weeks let, but then lots more properties in the market now in this part of France.
4 reasons; there are lot more properties on the market, list site changes, Brexit (exchange rate) and the perceived problems in Calais for UK guests.
For the "classic gites" in our village whose guests are predominantly French its more to do with a saturated market, i know of a few people who move out of there house for the summer now to make a bit extra by renting. I think the French government are trying to clamp down on this now by making it necessary to have a license?

Or my marketing skills need improving :?
Frenchlady

Post by Frenchlady »

This year is looking to be our worst year in 14 years. Last year was not good with the Calais problems so this year we have hit the French advertising market as their advertising is far, far cheaper than those greedy 4 big boys who seem to be in control. Also the French are more likely to travel within their own country (and possibly return another time). Advertising has changed so much since we started. We used to get lots of bookings from the small sites at a reasonable fee. Now we cannot afford (as a B&B) to pay the high fees of the big players and get lost in with the gites. All that and the terror threats and Brexit means I am afraid we have only had 1 enquiry from the UK. I cannot see the good years (and there have been some good ones) returning any time soon. I do not think the young Brits have the same love of France as our age range!! Why would they when they can go all inclusive to the sun ......... perhaps we should join them!!!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Yes, our experience/thoughts are very much in line with 'Frenchlady' above.

We may have to start targetting the French ...........
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've been targetting the French market for some time. I have about 50/50 Brits and French, British visitors were up last year, but back down this.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Not France. ...but we too had the best year in 2015. This year started good but has ground to a halt since January. Only 4 enquiries.
Maybe not just France?

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

I would expect things to be different for B&B's than Gites in France.
Totally different market.
What would Plato do ?
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Mouse wrote:Not France. ...but we too had the best year in 2015. This year started good but has ground to a halt since January. Only 4 enquiries.
Maybe not just France?

Mouse
x
That's strange, Mousie, i was just reading yesterday that with terrorism fears elsewhere, Spain (and especially the Balearics) is booked out and looking to a summer of overcrowding! Obviously your little corner hasn't been noticed yet, but when it is you'll be able to ramp up your prices. :lol:

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Very low on bookings this year. In fact the worst ever by far in 8 years which includes our start-up year. It's the same all over the island for self catering on Kefalonia. Our pool man told us. He and his partners do so many of the rental villa pools on this island. So he should know.

The uncertainty over Brexit is being blamed by some people here. The downturn could only be in Europe; I wouldn't think it was worldwide. What potential holidaymakers are worried about I am not at all sure, except that it will have some effect on the strength of the Euro, I presume.

PS. Sorry, I have just noticed that I am on the French page.