7 Students ...would you???

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Ripley

7 Students ...would you???

Post by Ripley »

Hi,
I'm in my first year with OD - so far fully booked from 21st May - Sept so it couldn't be going better. However, I have only had experience of one set of guests so far (they were lovely!)

I've just had a booking request from a group of 7 students - a mix of medical graduate and languages students - "looking for a peaceful catch up in beautiful Devon..."!

We're actually in Greece on holiday ourselves over the period they want. My question is: Would you accept the booking?? I spoke to the lead girl who she sounds very lovely and respectable but...anyone experience with STUDENTS?! Am i mad to take this booking or am I being judgmental ??
Any advice would be fab, thanks .

:D
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Are you rural or coastal or urban Devon? It sounds as if you are in the countryside. Packs of students don't tend to select rural tranquillity if they want to spend their holiday getting drunk, eating kebabs, throwing up and fighting. They could be mature students or post-grads. They could be undergraduates but the studious variety who just like long country walks and half a shandy at the local inn. I'd probably take the booking. If you are worried you could increase the damage deposit.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Could be a scam - can you quote the full email you received.
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Ripley has spoken to the lead guest so it's highly unlikely to be a scam. Scammers don't typically want to engage you on the phone lest you discover that Linda Jones is a bloke with a heavy Nigerian accent :D
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

We had a big student group (10) from Glasgow as one of our first bookings in the big house. It all went fine. They were lovely. However, we would always be a bit on-edge when the house is full of students simply because they are young and have less experience of things and some have little experience of looking after themselves. So, it's maybe a bigger risk than, say, families but one that we are happy to take.

The fact that they have told you that they are students is quite a positive. It's more worrying if you take the booking and later find out that they are youngsters.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Ripley

Post by Ripley »

Thanks guys. I've been been a bit sneaky and checked out the lead girls Facebook profile and they do indeed look the type to enjoy country walks and half a shandy in the pub !

All the photos are of a big group of friends on said country walks or on exotic mountainsides in Asia. Not a leery drunken pic to be seen (she's probably removed them all) I think I'm going to take the booking!
Musetta

Post by Musetta »

I once had a really nice group of 8 Danish students in America, if it makes you feel better. The did take the dining table out to use on the grass...and I saw them sunbathing on the front lawn (odd since we had a large back yard.) They were lovely and clean and quiet though.
MiniMum

Post by MiniMum »

We had the opposite with tables with our students: they brought the table tennis table inside to play beer pong! However, the house was absolutely fine (although a lot of make-up on the towels). I did hear from the neighbours that they were completely nocturnal.... but they kept the noise down and obviously inside!
Annew

Post by Annew »

We accepted a group of students a couple of years ago - turned out to be the Team GB ladies Modern Pentathlon team having a relaxing weekend before the start of training! Mr AnneW was transfixed! They were all delightful
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Had 3 bookings with students over the years, last ones a few weeks ago as they come to the area for field trips. Not an onsite owner, so just be very clear that they are renting expensive holiday accommodation, not staying in halls of residence.

Be very clear exactly what they should and shouldn't do and take a damage deposit if you don't already.
They are students (young) so you can be quite explicit about any worries so long as you are nice to them.

Ps I also briefed my cleaner to go through everything very carefully afterwards this time as cleaner is new. She did a great job and there were no problems at all. Damage deposit returned in full. Guests promised lots of recommendations (to adults, not other students, I might add!) :D

Edited to add, ps I always get their home address as well as address at Uni. That does focus the mind a lot.