Remote key handling

How to communicate with your potential renters - how to turn site visitors into enquiries, and enquiries into bookings.
russellt

Post by russellt »

For those low-tech responses, I'm not hearing too many negatives. I guess most guests are honest, and just do as they are asked, ie put the keys back in the SAE and post in a postbox.

The high-tech responses attract much more negativity about security and performance. So I might possibly be jumping from frying pan to fire? :shock:

Maybe I'll just stick with the existing low-tech process for now in spite of its inherent weakness. Thanks for all your comments.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Do you have an outhouse or garage which is lockable? I send a tiny key for a garage, as opposed to security key (difficult and expensive to replace) and key to my apartment. That way, if it gets lost in the post it is not too disastrous (it has happened). I then hide the main keys in the garage. It has worked brilliantly up to now and I hope will continue to do so as I don't want to depend on 3rd parties and am unable to have a key safe (although I could IN the garage) fixed on the outside, being an apartment in a communal block.
russellt

Post by russellt »

@FelicityA - Yes, we considered a keysafe at the rear of the property, but it didn't feel like the best way for a guest to gain entry.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi,
We had a Master keysafe but removed it having seen on Youtube just how easy to was to open. We went with a more robust digital unit that seems to get good ratings.

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/ge-c500 ... 0wod2gMOPQ

We have some home automation installed so I am able to adjust heating, radiator stats and see when guests have arrived using a PIR. I looked at the WiFi locks, most will still work if you lose connection, you just cant change the code or unlock remotley. There are a lot of issues with standards (I wanted it integrated with the other technology). Prices are also high and you need to fit the lock. I personally think people are more likely to try random pressing of a door lock than a key safe.

Has anyone here asked their insurance company about keysafe or remote lock implications on the premium?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

A while ago I asked Schofields about our key safe and they were fine with it. At that time they hadn't come across any break ins caused by people breaking into a key safe. I think that was a couple of years ago so it may be worth asking the question again.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
aussiefrog

Post by aussiefrog »

We’ve been using a key safe for several years. It is highly visible as it’s attached to some iron bars in a padlock type fashion, on the front of the house. Whilst we are a small street off the main drag of our very small town, there is quite a lot of foot traffic going past our house. We’ve never had a problem.

I know several other rental properties that have also been using them for years, again with no problems.

I guess it could depend on the area you’re in. I don’t think we have many sophisticated thieves where we are who'd know what the key safe is.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I use one in a garage and another attached to the front door of apartment but inside the building. They keys are only in there for a short while so there's a small risk I guess with regards security but that's also true posting the keys.

If I were to replace the devices I'd go for one like Casscat mentioned. Mine are just standard Master locks which are not the best.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have a very simple system - we post them to guest. They put them back through the letter box as they depart, if they forget they post them, but I don't return the security deposit until I get the keys back.
tchn

Post by tchn »

+1 on the Supra C500. It is said to have been tested to the same level as a mortice locked front door, and is backed by at least one holiday letting insurer, and has police approval. Ultimately it would take a similar effort as breaking through your front door.

I've been very pleased with it having used it for 3.5 years. Buy the key plate cover too to hide the settings from the guests. We also leave detailed instructions especially for returning the key, as it needs relocking at the end.
Martha

Post by Martha »

Another one with a keysafe here, never any problems in ten years, though of course there is always a first time!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

+1 on the Supra C500.

I have this too. I had it fitted earlier this year to replace another key safe that wasn't as user friendly - & probably less secure
too