Another Norfolk newbie

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Lemontree

Another Norfolk newbie

Post by Lemontree »

I am just in the process of purchasing a property which will be my first holiday let. The cottage is a 2 bedroom property in Hemsby. It will need a bit of modernisation, but I am looking forward to injecting a bit of life back into it.

Looking at going with Skyes cottages initially to build up a customer base. Once established I hope to go it alone. I am also planning on setting up a Facebook and Twitter page to help market the property.

As this is my first time in the holiday letting industry I have found this forum to be very useful, and any advice will be gratefully received.

Best wishes
Mel.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hello Lemontree. Can I suggest that you use the "search" function to see if any member has ever posted about your proposed agent?

The search tool is a useful facility to find out all kinds of information about any matter that you are considering within posts on the forum, so you can either add to existing posts by resurrecting them, or gather information to refine your query.

Welcome to LMH and wishing you every success up with your venture.
Lemontree

Post by Lemontree »

Thank you Zebedee, found some useful info on Sykes.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Welcome Lemontree. Lots of very useful advice here. I have two properties in Norfolk and manage another. I'm always on the look out for more dog friendly properties to manage, but only on a long term working basis, so I don't think I fit your criteria. :)
Lemontree

Post by Lemontree »

Hi Nemo. Thanks for your response. Nice to meet another Norfolk owner. Never run a holiday cottage before, I usually have buy to let properties. Very much looking forward to it though. I'm in the process of buying a 2 bed cottage in Hemsby. Keeping my fingers crossed for a good level of bookings. The area looks great, although I have to admit I'm still getting to grips with the east coast of Norfolk. Certainly some pretty villages. I have found this site invaluable. So many very experienced owners who have given great advice. This forum has already become my bible! Mel.
SandyBeaches

Post by SandyBeaches »

Hi Mel - I'm just down the road in Winterton (waves) and have learnt lots from this forum. Only wish I'd found it when I started out 6 years ago!

We have 3 of our own cottages (2 in Winterton and 1 in Acle) plus I do bookings for 5 others so would be happy to meet up and have a chat - always interested in meeting fellow owners! My cousin has a holiday cottage in Hemsby with Sykes and does fairly well, although the prices are low. Will PM you if that's OK.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I very much recommend Wyndham Vacation which is the parent company of several online booking portals, Cottages.com, welcomecottages, cottages4you and several others too.

Prices a lot better than sykes.

I got them in to have a look at the property 18 months before I was ready as I was modernising the property etc etc. Very helpful indeed, some advance do's and don'ts and must haves etc before the bathroom and kitchen was started and more.

The Agent visited twice over the 18 months without appointment to see how things were coming along and offered further advice.

I've been with them 10 months now and can't fault them. Just thought of one issue but this was amicably resolved after a quick call. Out of season they started heavily discounting last millisecond bookings which made it unprofitable (In my Opinion). Over the phone we quickly agreed a sensible "Floor Price" below which discounted bookings and last minute bookings cannot drop below.

I've phoned them about a number of things as a newbie to holiday letting and always had an answer quickly.
mrsbarkay

Post by mrsbarkay »

Hi Lemontree,

I am new to all this and also in Norfolk!

We are just about ready to start marketing our cottage in Mundesley, will hopefully be in time for some summer bookings but I'm being realistic that it may be slow this year. At least that will give me time to get to grips with things.

We are going it alone ourselves and going on Airbnb, our own website, subscription advertising, lots of advertising through friends, etc. I will get a Facebook page up and running too when I get a chance! I am just up the road so will be doing the change overs etc too.

I would love to meet up with fellow Norfolk LMH members if that was a possibility. In the meantime good luck with your new venture. I'm not local to Hemsby but not too far so if you need any info or help with the area please get in touch.

Kate