Another zip and link bed question...together or apart?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
bythesea

Another zip and link bed question...together or apart?

Post by bythesea »

We have finally completed on the purchase of a renovation project that will hopefully be up and running as a holiday let in the next 6 months. It has 3 bedrooms. One will be a standard double (already have a bed and it is a relatively small room), one will be a twin (at right angles) and the final room will hopefully have a zip and link king size bed. My question is, is it acceptable to still have the beds together when they are made up as singles i.e. separate sheets, duvets, but no gap between? The reason being that I would ideally like to have a fixed headboard on the wall and wall mounted bedside lights. I just wondered if this would seem odd to a guest (I am sure this is how I have seen twins made up in hotel rooms)?. And, whilst I'm on the subject (!)...what are your thoughts on having separate single duvets, rather than one large duvet on a king size bed? Many thanks again for any suggestions. :D
e-richard

Re: Another zip and link bed question...together or apart?

Post by e-richard »

bythesea wrote:....what are your thoughts on having separate single duvets, rather than one large duvet on a king size bed?
My Continental (mostly German) guests love it that way My UK guests are unimpressed, Americans are quizzical, and all other reactions in between. There, I'm sorry I could not be more helpful, but I'm speaking on behalf of real guests, not my own opinion :?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I haven't found anyone objecting to it that way. In the past, I have offered to make it up as one bed with a single duvet and I only ever got two people saying, "Yes, please, if it's not too much trouble". Then I decided it was such a faff doing it the different ways and storing the massive duvet that I gave up offering it.

I quite frequently get women friends going away together (not as partners) who are unfazed by the close sleeping arrangement. They each have their own sheet and duvet. Overall, it gets a very favourable response and I can't tell you the number of Canadian and Americans who have not met this before and are going home planning the same for their own bed. No more duvet stealing. No more being overly warm to suit the other. The best thing I ever did. And I just did it because a shoulder (I since had operated on) was really protesting about the loading of the giant duvet in the cover and the weight of it hanging it out. Also I find ironing easier with single everything.

Oh, and by the way, it is known as 'Austrian Twins'.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

The more flexibility the better IMO. I wouldn't have be too keen on my kids beds being side by side when they were younger - they would have kept each other awake. But if I was sharing a room with a friend I wouldn't mind it.

How about having a wide headboard fixed to the wall that's big enough even when the beds are apart? I know someone on here has something like that but I can't remember who. If the wall lights are flat against the wall and fairly high up (above head height when the bed is underneath them) then that might work - I'm thinking of something like the 'porthole' style lights we have in our twin room.

http://chandlerscottage.co.uk/cottage-intro/gallery/ (the twin room is on the 2nd page of the gallery)

You may be able to fix lights to the headboard with the wiring concealed behind it.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I think Joanna is absolutely right. The more flexibility the better. However, you need more room either side for two singles and of course when you want them to be a double (king) then they have to be zip and link (always so much more expensive to buy!). I was just thinking maybe you did not have room for that or you would be going for a super king?

(Love your porthole light, Joanna!!)
Beachcondo

Post by Beachcondo »

You don't need a ziplink to make up two beds to a king!

Just put two divan style beds with a thicker (4-10 cm) topper mattress on top.
That's more or less the standard way that Swedish king beds are made up and they don't split.

This is also the way that I do in my Swedish rental cottage. I leave the single toppers on the beds and just add or remove the wider topper depending on what setup is wanted.

You need to have a place to store the wider topper though.
Pessimists only get positive surprises.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

If I booked a double bed that had two single quilts, I wouldn't be in least bothered, however, if I booked twin beds, I would expect to be able to walk down both sides of each bed freely. I would not be happy to find myself effectively in a double with anyone other my OH. If the beds cannot be separated with at least one foot between them, then I wouldn't be offering them as singles at all, unless it was made very clear that they would not actually be separated.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I'm with Bunny - twin beds should be separated and guests will assume that to be the case; they may not mind, but they'd have good grounds for complaint if they did mind.
I've just re-read your post and you refer to a zip/link kingsize, which splits into two 2'6" wide child singles rather than a zip/link superking which splits into two 3' wide adult sized singles, so that might have some bearing on whether guests find the arrangement acceptable.
If you want to fix the headboard to the wall Joanna's suggestion is a good one; keep in mind that you need to be able to move the beds easily and they're likely to be on castors - will they remain against a headboard that isn't attached to the bed? (I don't know!)

As for two single duvets on a superking, we've been doing that for about three years with almost entirely UK guests, and the only feedback we've had has been positive.
bythesea

Post by bythesea »

Thank you for all the replies.
I did mean that they would be 2x 3ft singles, so a superking when together.
Based on what you have all said I think some sort of fixed headboard that is big enough to cater for the beds being separated may be the best option, as that would be the most flexible. Integrated lights above the bed sound a great idea.
As we are pretty much starting from scratch my main aim is to keep everything very simple and easy to maintain/ clean, whilst keeping as many guests as possible happy of course! :D
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

bythesea wrote: my main aim is to keep everything very simple and easy to maintain/ clean, whilst keeping as many guests as possible happy of course! :D
A very good aim! All the best with it.
anya752000

Post by anya752000 »

We have a very large wall mounted headboard that works well when the zip and links are together or separate with a good gap in the middle.
It is ideal for us and we are putting the same in all three bedrooms of our new property.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Guests have an uncanny ability to sense when things are arranged for the convenience of owners. Extreme examples include 'practical' carpets and sofa covers.

My gut feeling is not to fall into this trap.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting