Airconditioning

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
Michelincamper

Airconditioning

Post by Michelincamper »

Following the new rental regulations in Andalucia we will now need to install hot/cold airconditioning units to our home to be compliant.
We are in Benahavis, so would appreciate it if anyone can recommend a particular brand or installer?
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Before you jump in with both feet read this thread posted first by Brendan:
viewtopic.php?t=17007
A/C is a major aggravation for owners because the renters abuse it and electric costs go through the roof.
The full regulations and requirements are not published yet. Even when they are it will take time to get everything in place.
This is just a guess but I see the timescale etc. going:
FOR THIS SUMMER: A mad panic to get everybody in administration in line with the new process.
END OF SUMMER: About 1/3 of owners will have registered.
AUTUMN: They'll start picking on a few unregistered properties "pour encourage les autres"
SPRING OF 2017: They'll start to think about the details and do some inspections.
SUMMER OF 2017: About half will have their A/C installed
AUTUMN OF 2018: They will discuss relaxing that rule for properties that face north etc.
Wait till you see what the exact requirements are to get registered.
Here in Catalunya, the first region to set up, the requirements include collecting and paying tourist tax, registering with the police to do online guest notifications, notifying the neighbours in the block, having official complaints forms available to guests. I didn't have to include any proof of these things to get registered. You sign to say that you will do them.
WAIT AND CHECK WHAT YOU NEED FOR REGISTRATION. DON'T PANIC!
brendan

Post by brendan »

Do nothing for the moment is my advice. There´ll be plenty of updates here when the time comes to actually register and then there´ll be a year at least to bring everything up to spec.

If you are looking at A/c, I´d recommend buying inverter units. They´re more expensive to buy but infinitely cheaper to run.
Mustbemad

Air Conditioning

Post by Mustbemad »

I think the sales of these could go through the roof shortly:

http://www.meteorelectrical.com/20-100- ... meter.html

When we fitted aircon we also fitted the meter so clients could pay as and when they needed to use air conditioning. Never had any moans and also never had clients going out for the day with the aircon blasting away!

A very good investment at a time when I was renting, and still useful when friends and family stay.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Floriana wrote:
"When we fitted aircon we also fitted the meter so clients could pay as and when"
Watch that one Floriana. We talked about it in an earlier thread. I am 99% certain that is illegal. You are not allowed to "resell" electricity in Spain. Only exception is for charging up the batteries of electric cars in garages.
The "lampista" is quite happy to fit it for you and you may never be found out but be careful if you have Spanish guests.
Here is quite an old link but there is a lott on the subject if you google in Spanish
http://www.latribunadeautomocion.es/ind ... 7:energias
Mustbemad

Air conditioning

Post by Mustbemad »

We were not re-selling electricity, we sold the use of the air conditioning units which we owned! :lol:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Floriana wrote:
"We were not re-selling electricity, we sold the use of the air conditioning units which we owned!"
I've taken a few days to check this out. Apart from the laws prohibiting these sub-meters there is a new factor that affects Andalucia (I think Costa de la Luz is in this region).
The new laws on apartment rental state that you must have A/C for summer and heating for winter (if you are open for winter).
This law does not affect licensed rural properties.
But the important point is that it must be included in the overall price offer.
"1. El precio ofertado será por noche de estancia y conforme al artículo 32 de la Ley 13/2011, de 23 de diciembre. En todo caso estará incluido el suministro de agua, energía eléctrica, calefacción, refrigeración, limpieza a la entrada de nuevas personas usuarias y el uso de ropa de cama y baño y de menaje."
I think we need to put this one to bed. Sub-meters for A/C are not on.
Mustbemad

Air Conditioning

Post by Mustbemad »

Good job I stopped renting a couple of years ago then!

I got so fed up with Owners Direct being anything but, and since losing my husband, the stress of keeping the house and garden immaculate for clients on my own, was too much.

Now I just enjoy spending time there with my friends.

I like to keep up with LMH, if only to be reminded I did the right thing.....