Barcelona closes down 400 illegal apartments

For topics that are specific to Spain, please go here.
costa-brava

Barcelona closes down 400 illegal apartments

Post by costa-brava »

The city of Barcelona appears to be more vigorous than the rest of Catalunya in attacking illegal rentals. The recently fined both Airbnb and Homeaway and now they are hitting the owners:
http://ccaa.elpais.com/ccaa/2016/01/18/ ... 25887.html
Four hundred closed down and 500 fined plus other penalties for irregularities. It looks like a lot of the police work is done by neighbours who use the hotlines to inform of suspected irregularities.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

It's a very hot topic at the moment amongst the residents....they feel Barca has almost turned it to Disney land and are sick and tired of living next to holiday rentals and their noisy occupants.
Plus, of course, there's the impact on housing costs/availability.

My cousin has just bought in Barca. He lives in London but can't afford to buy in a decent area there. He is using it for himself at the moment as he works from the Barca office about 3rd of the time but he was warned when buying that he wouldn't be able to rent to holidaymakers.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
CSE

Post by CSE »

The recently fined both Airbnb and Homeaway
(sic)
I think you find it was the intention, but as to date other than press notices nothing more has been done. If that is the case then this threat is aimed at those who the Authorities can get their hands on. Maybe this time there will be no more empty and impossible to levy any charges with this action.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

Oh dear, I haven't yet booked my apartment for the Barcelona marathon in March, I'd better get a move on!
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

la vache!
Make sure it has a reference that is HUTB hyphen 6 digits.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

costabravarent wrote:la vache!
Make sure it has a reference that is HUTB hyphen 6 digits.
Thanks Costa, I'll check that. I'd better get a move on, only 8 weeks to M day and with all those aparts now closed down there will be fewer to choose from.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

LV a friend told me of a really amazing, and cheap, apartment his friend booked on ABNB that over looked Catalunia square. Think it was 50 euros a night but was very spacious. So see if you can find it (aplogies I know no more than that)
Also there are often good deals on hotels so you might find the hotels are good value too at this time of year.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!