Windows 10

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Codliveroil

Windows 10

Post by Codliveroil »

Any one gone with windows 10 yet and if so what niggles, what apps don't work correctly, what are the downsides.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Are you thinking of upgrading or buying a new system?
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

DaveT wrote:Are you thinking of upgrading or buying a new system?
Upgrade from windows 8.1
CSE

Post by CSE »

loads on the interweb, some great information from "Geeks".
There are some upgrade issues depending on when the upgrade was done and with which make of PC.
There are privacy issues too.
Working with Windoz 7 which will remain supported until 2020. Maybe this PC will be long dead by then. Until then no reason to change to 10
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Sun Lover

Post by Sun Lover »

I upgraded (free download) to w10 a few weeks ago and wish I had not.

The worst problem for me is that I can no longer do screen shots, something I rely on.

Ive looked online, found that many others have the same problem but none of the fixes work for me so am having to print off loads of stuff that I usually just save.

I am also having problems with some elements of Word as well.

Wish I had never done it.
DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Codliveroil wrote:
Upgrade from windows 8.1
As a general rule I wouldn't upgrade any system unless the OS is out of support or there was a really compelling reason to do so. System requirements tend to go up with each version so unless you're also upgrading the hardware you are likely to run into problems.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Sun Lover wrote:I upgraded (free download) to w10 a few weeks ago and wish I had not.

The worst problem for me is that I can no longer do screen shots, something I rely on.

Ive looked online, found that many others have the same problem but none of the fixes work for me so am having to print off loads of stuff that I usually just save.

I am also having problems with some elements of Word as well.

Wish I had never done it.
Windows 10 has a screen shots tool:

Windows: All Apps > Windows Accessories > Snipping Tool.

I find that 10 takes longer to load up even though they claimed it would be faster!
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
Marks

Post by Marks »

I was just thinking of upgrading from Windows 7. Think I will hold fire for now.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
Sun Lover

Post by Sun Lover »

Essar wrote: [
Windows 10 has a screen shots tool:

Windows: All Apps > Windows Accessories > Snipping Tool.

I find that 10 takes longer to load up even though they claimed it would be faster!
Thanks so much Steve, it works for me now, albeit more fiddly than original. :D
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I've updated 4 PCs to Win 10 now and tried a clean install as well.

- 1 upgraded and ran fine afterwards. It's a very old netbook more than 5 years old but with a SSD. It runs fine.

- 1 clean install on an rather old PC that I bought for 35CHF second hand for my rental. It installed ok but was a struggle to find a couple of the drivers. Running fine now.

- 1 Upgrade from Win 7. Runs ok but a few teething problems like the start button failing to work and losing the sound which took quite some Googling to fix.

- 1 disaster. My wifes laptop could not take Win 10 until this just a few weeks ago. Upgrading caused a major crash and fan to run full speed. It's a Sony Vaio laptop. Finally Sony announced drivers for that model but it just wouldn't run Win 10 reliably. It would freeze and restart at random. I didn't fancy a clean install so tried to return to Win 8.1. That failed and the machine would no longer run. Had to restore a hard drive backup to get it going again. Juggling with Win8.1 to Win 10 and back again has really messed up the partitions and there are several more there than there should be. WHen I get time, it will need a clean install.

BTW The snipping tool was in previous windows versions too. I find Win10 a bit better than Win 8 or 8.1 but no big advantage to Win 7.

I would simply say make a complete hard drive backup before trying it out.
Codliveroil

Post by Codliveroil »

I can really do without the hassle, I already had one hard drive crash this year and $300 to fix, I will stay with 8.1 until V11 comes out which by then V10 might be safe to install, lol
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I updated to Windows 10 on my laptop without incident. It's 'okay' and a big improvement on Windows 8 but there are features from Windows 7 I really miss. I absolutely hate the photos storage on 10 and the fact that I cannot use my beloved resizer powertoy that I had on my old 7 system :( I also dislike the fact that you have to create a custom set of tiles rather than just accessing everything you might need quickly and easily from the start menu and/or the control panel.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote:I updated to Windows 10 on my laptop without incident. It's 'okay' and a big improvement on Windows 8 but there are features from Windows 7 I really miss. I absolutely hate the photos storage on 10 and the fact that I cannot use my beloved resizer powertoy that I had on my old 7 system :( I also dislike the fact that you have to create a custom set of tiles rather than just accessing everything you might need quickly and easily from the start menu and/or the control panel.
I hadn't noticed any difference for handling photos. A resizer context menu can be found at https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

The start menu tiles are optional and only useful if you use lots of MS Apps. I've switched them off completely. All the programs are still there under the Start button as All Apps. If you can't immediately find the program just type in part of the name at the Cortana search circle next to the start button and it will find it.

The control panel can be accessed in a few ways, like Start/Settings or simply find it by right clicking on the Start button.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

kevsboredagain wrote:
I hadn't noticed any difference for handling photos. A resizer context menu can be found at https://imageresizer.codeplex.com/
The photos do not display as they did in W7. The image resizer powertoy is the one I recommended here previously but I cannot get it to work with W10. However my main computer is now a Mac and the laptop is just a fall back so I'm not unduly worried.