Kitchen cabinet handles - are cup handles to be avoided?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
dartmoorish

Kitchen cabinet handles - are cup handles to be avoided?

Post by dartmoorish »

Does anyone have any advice on the choice of kitchen cabinet handles? We are going to have a traditional kitchen with painted units and wooden worktop, so initially thought of going for cup handles and knobs, but I am now thinking that cup handles may get dirt under them and I will have to inspect them and clean them inside at every changeover.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I'm more concerned about the wooden worktops! Am imagining burn marks and all sorts of unremovable stains. They need much more care and maintenance than anything else. Not the best for a holiday rental I think.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Hello and welcome to LMH :D

If it were me (though others probably have a different opinion), I would be more concerned about keeping the wooden work surfaces looking good, rather than the cabinet handles... I've seen a lot of wooden work surfaces with water damage (one was quite black with mould down the joins near the sink) or damage from knives. However, in answer to your question, if cleaning is an issue, I would have thougyt knobs would be less likely to get dirt trapped in them.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Welcome to LMH. :) I agree with the others. As long as the handles are able to be cleaned then it's not a major issue, but possibly the dirt would be more hidden than on a knob. Wooden worktops though; having got oak at home, there's no way I'd have wood in a rental unless you like the distressed look. :wink:
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Agree with others. Avoid wooden worktops - way too much planned maintenance, and impossible to restore in a changeover between guests if scorched or water damaged; next guests see a substandard worktop and treat it accordingly.
salmoncottage

Post by salmoncottage »

Theres a previous thread on here about wooden worktops that may be helpful to read up on. Handles should be durable and functional rather than pretty, something that bolts through the doors to give a firm fix rather than screws into the surfaces.
Always think 'maintenance'.

Best wishes and good luck
'Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside'
tavi

Post by tavi »

another one who thinks a wooden work surface is a bad idea....I'm afraid.

Think maintenance as salmoncottage says, and also changeover - you want the kitchen immaculately clean when your guests walk in.
You want them to feel no-one else has ever stayed there - if you can!

Will the cup handles face upwards? Then yes, there will be crumbs and ketchup in them at every changeover - not too difficult to clean but requires perhaps more than just a wipe.

My studio kitchenette has a metal groove kind of handle along the cupboard doors. There's always a crumb or a splash of something in the groove when I check. My cleaner often forgets.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Bryn Ffynnon has wooden worktops - wouldn't have been my choice but there you are.

They seem to be varnished rather than oiled as a hot tea pot will sort of "stick" to them. I leave mats and trivets for it and so far so good....
sandyandy

Post by sandyandy »

In my previous home I had a very realistic wood effect worktop from Howdens. It was called block oak laminate with a square edge. It may be a compromise, to achieve the country effect without the maintenance. I plan to use it again when I'm ready to replace the kitchen in my holiday cottage.
it will all come out in the wash
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've got wooden worktops (beech from junkers) in both cottages. They need a sand and oil every few years but I think they look pretty good and lend themselves to converted barns. We've had some problems with black staining from water around the sinks (usually caused by DG's leaving wet dishcloths and towels around the taps yeuk) and we are gradually replacing that part of the worktops with rustic slate.

In answer to your question though - I would have though knobs would be easier to clean. We have forged black steel handles in the cottages and porcelain knobs in the house - all jolly easy to clean.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We are refitting the kitchen in Jan. too. Nice as wood worktops are we have gone for practicality & used laminate. My OH wanted some fancy spindle type handles, which were very nice, but dirt traps. We are having simple knobs. It's easy to get carried away & choose what you would for your own home, but you have to be practical.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Practicality is paramount - it's all about ease of cleaning and ease of maintenance.
We resisted the temptation to go for fully integrated appliances, classy as the end result may look. In the last year I've had to replace the dishwasher in two of our properties. These simply slide into the appropriately sized slot under the worktop with no separate door fronts to match the units, so they're a standard off the shelf Bosch or whatever dishwasher. Hence I could go out and buy a replacement easily, whereas fully integrated ones typically have to be ordered. I could swap out the dishwasher, with the guest's permission, in about 15 minutes including levelling and connecting; faffing about fitting the appliance door to an integrated machine (which will almost certainly have different fittings to the old one) needs hours of staring at paper templates, pencil sucking, marking up and fitting weird bracket thingies........... and that's after the machine is positioned and fastened in.
Sorry Mr and Mrs Guest, you'll have to do without a working dishwasher (washing machine, fridge etc etc) for the rest of your stay - but you have to admit, it might not work but it looks good........... 8)
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Totally agree - freestanding white goods are definitely the way to go, we have had to swop around too many washing machines, dishwashers & 'fridges at short notice for integrated ones to be prctical.