Gite - what extras are expected or required?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Sweetpea

Gite - what extras are expected or required?

Post by Sweetpea »

Hello
I am a newbie and have lots to learn. and love LMH and have lurked around for a while and have npw found the courage to register.
After 10 years of owning a large house in France we have created a gite there - self-contained and for 2-4 people. It is one large room with a kitchen, a shower room and separate bedroom. It will be ready for next summer and I wonder what extras I should supply and how much?

For example in the kitchen - things like spices and herbs in jars, and other condiments, anything in tins or jars etc...
I plan to have a welcome basket as I know that on arrival it's good to be able to have a drink and something to eat.

In the bathroom I would leave the usual soaps/shower wash as there is a shower not a bath. Toilet paper - how much? as I have heard of people taking it away - not a big deal, but the rent will be modest.
Any thoughts on this? Many thanks in advance!
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Welcome to the forum. We don't bite so no need for courage.

One thing I learned over the years was that some people object to half used items, even when it is items like rice, sugar, coffee ... things that last a while but are obvious when someone else has used them first. I therefore just try to leave things like herbs/spices, sealed coffee capsules and sachets and sealed sugar sachets. That include loo rolls too! Sometimes I use up the things myself as it doesn't bother me personally.

As you live on site it should be easy to ensure everything looks new and presented just for your next guests, even if that's a jar of something filled to the top. Items like foil, plastic wrap, bin bags and any other consumables are very useful to be there at least at the start of a rental. It's true that many will use everything in sight and even take stuff home, so don't supply too much at once and have reserves ready for the next guests.

Welcome packs I think are a nice touch but again, some people won't touch fresh food bought by someone else. Weird!
tavi

Post by tavi »

I know a lot of guests love a welcome pack but when I tried it I found half of it got wasted. My guests are all age groups and from all over Europe as well as UK, not to mention vegetarians, gluten intolerant, etc etc. - so I was often providing stuff that is of no use to them.

So I now just leave wine and olives - seems gratefully received.

If I see guests are arriving very late, I'll offer my breakfast pack at a fixed price - they can change the contents to suit (within reason).

I also provide oil, vinegar, condiments and sugar sachets plus kitchen towel, bin bags, wash up liquid, loo rolls and shower toiletries. We had an fascinating 8 page discussion about loo rolls not so long ago - you might find it useful - LoL

But like Kev I take away half used packs of rice etc.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Tavi

:)
Sweetpea

Post by Sweetpea »

Thanks Kevs and Tavi for your replies and encouragement.

it looks as if it might be a case of trial and error...

Does anyone leave dry stuff (pasta, rice etc) or just the addresses of the nearest shops?
At present we live in Wiltshire and I may spend the summer in France - if possible. Best way to get some sunshine!

Many thanks again
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

It's not so much trial and error as what your particular market wants/expects/will value, and what your personal 'style' as gîte owner is. So there's no one answer, no 'one size fits all'.

For example, we leave a store cupboard larder with things like organic flour, rice, Puy lentils, pasta, veg stock cubes, sunflower and olive oils, red wine and balsamic vinegar etc etc, plus everything needed for cleaning, food storage etc. On top of that we supply a welcome basket with home made bread and cake plus ingredients for a first night supper. Some people on here would no doubt think it's OTT but it suits us and our guests, who are all couples (we don't take children), mostly in their late 30s or older. I wouldn't do exactly the same in a family gîte, or in one that majored in young people, as it wouldn't fit in the same way.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Do not work in the same field as you, but speaking as a renter then whatever you do it would be nice to let your customers know what is left available to them when booking or on your website.
We have rented places which is always stripped of any condiments or left over food loo rolls etc. That is fine with us and we was pleased to be informed so we could pack or purchased as needed.
if you choose to leave a basic package of items then please ensure that they are in a usable condition at change over or when new guests enter. Damp salt is not inviting neither is soggy toilet roll.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.