Fireplace not to be used

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Ludwig

Fireplace not to be used

Post by Ludwig »

Could anyone kindly recommend an elegant way of making it clear that a particular fireplace should not be used without resorting to a sign?
Thanks in advance.
GRL

Post by GRL »

How about putting a dried flower arrangement in the fireplace and UNDERNEATH them a clear sign saying the fire is not to be used as the chimney is blocked! So there iis a sign but it is only visible when they move the flowers.
Essar

Post by Essar »

Brick it up! :lol: :lol:
"Write something, even if it's just a suicide note"
"There is no human problem which could not be solved if people would simply do as I advise"
"As for my amnesia, I've had it as long as I can remember"
tavi

Post by tavi »

Good idea Rosie.

and fit a smoke alarm just inside the chimney breast :lol: :lol:
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Make it physically impossible to use it. If you leave any slightest hint that might suggest it's useable then sooner or later someone will try to light a fire in it. Or, to put it another way, what Essar said.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
bessie

Post by bessie »

Rosie wrote:How about putting a dried flower arrangement in the fireplace and UNDERNEATH them a clear sign saying the fire is not to be used as the chimney is blocked! So there iis a sign but it is only visible when they move the flowers.
I had this problem with a bedroom fireplace ,nice little card sitting in the grate requesting do not try to light fire as chimney not in use.and a pretty fire screen.
What did they do but light a load of candles in the grate ,wax everywhere.
I have now removed the grate and left it totally empty with a board covering the gap and the fire screen sitting in front.
Guests do some odd things that they would never dream of doing at home.
Just to be sure I have fitted a smoke alarm in the room.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have teasel heads in the fireplace. Actually some guests put them there several years ago.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

rosebud wrote:I have teasel heads in the fireplace. Actually some guests put them there several years ago.
They make really good kindling.......
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

It wasn't particularly to stop anybody except family but my cousin in Argyllshire put a large old painting of my great-grandfather MacKenzie(a fierce looking old b-----) in the fireplace. My brother rescued it and it now has a place of glory in Peebles. Not sure what happened afterwards with my cousin's chimney.
On a serious note, don't put any blockage that's not visible. The smoke alarm sounds good but also needs to be accessible. I think the flower arrangement sounds good. I might go for a big heavy cactus! You could try a painted log arrangement or a big black cast iron pot (witches brew type). Another really nice thing is a chestnut roasting pan but that might encourage them if it's not fixed down.
We Scots used to say, "Lang may yer lum reek" (long may your chimney smoke) but there aren't many lums reeking these days. I can remember the smell of my Granny's peat fire in Argyll. Then we moved down to Fife and I HATED the smell of coal fires burning in the winter months.
Whatever you do I agree with you blocking up your lum.
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Greenbarn, à propos 'Kindling':

Some of our owners, faced with many with not understanding the word, have resorted to using the expression fire sticks or starter sticks.

But, despite this apparent lack of experience, we have yet to hear of any fireplace upset.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We had a fireplace in our apartment in Cyprus which was used by family and friends. I bought the biggest largest pot I could find and stood it in the fireplace.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

charles cawley wrote:Greenbarn, à propos 'Kindling':

Some of our owners, faced with many with not understanding the word, have resorted to using the expression fire sticks or starter sticks.

But, despite this apparent lack of experience, we have yet to hear of any fireplace upset.
I'm not sure if "kindling" is a word in common usage up here, I may be revealing my southern roots. I get it from our local garage (always in a used sheep feed bag) and he invariably describes it as a "bag of sticks". I must check - I might be known in the village as "bloke what calls sticks kindling".
We've yet to find a melted Kindle in a logburner; one day......
costa-brava

Post by costa-brava »

Charles and Greenbarn
"
charles cawley wrote:
Greenbarn, à propos 'Kindling':

Amazon didn't have any problem with the word kindle. Now they have Kindle Fire. I suppose in a couple of years the real meaning will get lost.
Just kindling a thought!