dreamweaver and images

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
roxytoo

dreamweaver and images

Post by roxytoo »

I did my first website with dreamweaver 13 years ago. Its a pain uploading properties (takes ages) and I was going to ditch it when I got my new one but strangely it's still the best for getting enquiries even though it looks very old fashioned so I've kept it!

Over the years properties and come and gone and I have loads of images on the server that I could delete. Is there a programme that will give me a list of images that I am not using rather than me go through one by one?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I can't think of any specific tool that can do that although I'm sure people have written scripts to do this. The task would involve listing every image on your server and then a script to work through that list, looking for occurrences of each image in your website pages. Those that cannot be found are orphaned and can be deleted.

Another way might be to search for all images on the server and also search all pages for use of images. The 2 lists produced can be sorted and compared, using the difference to make a list of orphaned files.

All this could be done offline with a copy of your server contents.
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I thought Dreamweaver could identify any orphaned files?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

newtimber wrote:I thought Dreamweaver could identify any orphaned files?
More than likely.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

ah thanks, think I've found it :lol:
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Ooh are you a Dreamweaver man Kevin? I built my site in DW and only work on it every 3 months or so, by which time I've completely forgotten everything I ever knew! :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

KathyG wrote:Ooh are you a Dreamweaver man Kevin? I built my site in DW and only work on it every 3 months or so, by which time I've completely forgotten everything I ever knew! :roll:
Afraid not. I started with it nearly 20 years ago, when it first came out, but found it too heavy and restricting. Although Dreamweaver has some useful features, I now get on much better simply editing the code on its own without any tools.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

And a stunning job you've made of it too!! I'd like massive pictures on mine as well, how have you made that possible?
Kathy
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

KathyG wrote:And a stunning job you've made of it too!! I'd like massive pictures on mine as well, how have you made that possible?
Ermm I used bigger numbers in the size attribute :P

Tools like Dreamweaver would handle this concept. Pages can be fluid and scalable, so sizes are based on % and not fixed. Then it's simply up to you to define the maximum size.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Well I can make them physically bigger easily enough but it's the loading time that holds me back. Thanks for your PM, my parents arrive this morning though, but I'll look up where they are and say hello I think :)
Kathy
teapot

Post by teapot »

Not by any means my subject but as needs must I have had to get involved for my own site.

When I use the larger pictures I lower the quality by around 20% (or whatever the picture can stand without loosing too much) this reduces the loading time by a much bigger margin.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world