New cottage with holiday let

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
yvonnerob

New cottage with holiday let

Post by yvonnerob »

Hi all
just in the process of buying a cottage which has a smithy attached to it. Plan is to turn this in to a holiday let. So any info on bets sites to advertise, web sites and any free ones which are good. Definitely going to be a 1 bed but thinking of a mezzanine floor for another bedroom, what do you think. Any info would be greatly appreciated
Rob
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Where is the cottage?
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

Oh exciting! Girvan is in Scotland, for those that don't know:) is the cottage there too? We're not far away,in Millport. All of ours are either room and kitchen teeny tiny places,or one bedroom. A mezzanine could be fine, so long as you make it crystal clear on the website? Am assuming you would need a ladder to access?
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

Oh exciting! Girvan is in Scotland, for those that don't know:) is the cottage there too? We're not far away,in Millport. All of ours are either room and kitchen teeny tiny places,or one bedroom. A mezzanine could be fine, so long as you make it crystal clear on the website? Am assuming you would need a ladder to access?
yvonnerob

Post by yvonnerob »

It will be close to Girvan about 5 miles inland
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Trying Googling for accommodation as if you were looking for somewhere to stay yourself. This will tell you where to advertise. Also check out your competition, which will give you a clue to prices and what else is available in your area.
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I list on the VisitScotland website,and have my own one,but recently I've had most of my bookings through Flipkey/ Holiday Lettings. I use their commision based listing, which takes a small percentage of around 3% each booking, plus it takes a fee from the guest as well.Ii googled, " Holidays in Millport" " Accommodation in Millport" etc etc. Trip Advisor came well up the rankings.( FK/HL show up on Trip Advisor.)
I find the advantage of being in Scotland is that there's often less competition for your area. Try Googling " Holidays in The Lakes" and you'll see what I mean. Anybody searching for North Ayrshire will see my listing ,as there's only about twenty listings on that page.
I also advertise on Dog Friendly Accommodation on Facebook. Not had a booking so far, but it might be worth thinking about what kind of holiday you could offer- walking? Cycling? then look for Facebook groups that support that market, and then see if you can advertise on that.
Good luck! Come and see us ! ;)
yvonnerob

Post by yvonnerob »

Thanks for that, Just been looking at trip advisor holiday lettings. Seems popular in this area so does Cottages4 you. Just looked at visit Scotland and seems a nice site. I'll certainly be pet friendly. As not many cottages accept pets within the area

Jen - what would be your opinion on a mezzanine floor for an extra bedroom or would a 1 bed with sofa bed be ok??? or just stick to 1 bed cottage???

Rob
charles cawley

Post by charles cawley »

Sleep 4 can be a stronger niche but a mezzanine can have a similar effect as a sofa bed in the lounge.

Socializing tends to stop when the mezzanine bedroom is used. This effect could more than neutralize the advantage of a sleep four but it could make for a busier cottage at lower rates.

The way niches behave can be quite odd.
No web-site for now.
Advice about holiday letting
jenboyle1959

Post by jenboyle1959 »

I have a double bed and sofa bed. The trouble with sofa beds is
1) you have to find somewhere to store a further duvet,two or four pillows and possibly a mattress topper to make it comfortable. I just splashed out on a memory foam one, but am now struggling to store it.
2) if children are using the sofa bed, there is always the worry that parents won't put the waterproof sheet on. If you have a single bed, already made up for guests, you can be fairly sure they won't strip it and remove waterproof sheets, but with a settee you are at the mercy of the parents conviction that their wee darling won't..well..wee.This has been a problem twice with my set up, and I never want to go through the stress of that again.:). However I would have thought you might be looking more at adult golfers and walkers rather than families? I would agree that a mezzanine means everyone has to go to bed at the same time, but if it's not families you're attracting, maybe that would be OK?