electric towel rail suggestions

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Lars

electric towel rail suggestions

Post by Lars »

hi all, a rather specific question. we have a shower room with no heating and would like to put in an electric towel rail on a timer plug

the only problem is the risk that renters override the timer switch and leave the heater on for months on end. [we rely on a local manager but it is the sort of thing that could be easily overlooked]

does anyone have any suggestions?

many thanks
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

Well it is possible Lars. I've had experience of a villa here where one is regularly put it on in 90 degree heat! To prevent that I secure my plug so it can't be used.

Could you ask your cleaners to check when cleaning the bathroom? Or box it in someway? Are there tamper proof timers?

I would say the main issue I have seen with other towel heaters is that they get rusty quickly because people leave sopping wet towels on them. But we do have hard water here, so maybe that's the main issue.

Mouse
x
One martini, two martini, three martini floor!
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

Mouse wrote: Could you ask your cleaners to check when cleaning the bathroom? Or box it in someway? Are there tamper proof timers?

x
Though as with any electrical item, guests must be able to turn it off themselves in an emergency (if it develops a fault and starts overheating for example!)
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

I use one with a timer that only has 3 settings. I think the max is 1 hour which is perfect. I've not had any rust problems but mine is one of the white ones as it was the only one I could find to fit the space I had.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

sorry, posted twice :oops:
Last edited by ellerhow on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ellerhow

Post by ellerhow »

Ours is on all year round and has made very little difference to the electricity bill but a huge difference to the damp and therefore comfort in the bathroom. We bought ours from the plumber's merchants not a DIY shed as (if I remember) they could offer us one which used fewer KWatts for the size! There is no thermostat, it is either on or off( switch high up on the wall next to the fan switch- outside the bathroom). It is chrome and has been in for about eight years and still looks like new!
Gary2604

Post by Gary2604 »

ellerhow wrote:Ours is on all year round and has made very little difference to the electricity bill but a huge difference to the damp and therefore comfort in the bathroom. We bought ours from the plumber's merchants not a DIY shed as (if I remember) they could offer us one which used fewer KWatts for the size! There is no thermostat, it is either on or off( switch high up on the wall next to the fan switch- outside the bathroom). It is chrome and has been in for about eight years and still looks like new!
It may look like its not made a difference to your bill but it certainly will have. Assuming your towel is small say 200w model. If on all the time and your are paying a good rate of 10p per kwh that's about £170 per year.