Terracotta vases (and hibiscus colour change)

For anything to do with the garden and pool
pambon

Terracotta vases (and hibiscus colour change)

Post by pambon »

This winter I bought five large terracotta vases from a reliable source. I planted russellias in them. Four pots with their plants are doing fine but the fifth pot, over the months, has slowly turned black at the bottom and dark around the rest. The original plant died. I noticed that the soil was literally waterlogged while the other pots and garden were bone dry.I changed the soil and re-planted another russellia. Same thing waterlogged soil with a more than dead plant. A month ago I changed the soil and re-planted yet again. Within a month waterlogged and a dead plant with the rest of the pots and garden bone dry.
I have now bought a new pot and will chuck out the defective pot and contents. Will re-plant next February.

Anyone know what is wrong with this pot to cause this waterlogged soil?

Problem number two which isn't really a problem: two years ago I bought a beautiful hibiscus (my favourite shrubs) with lovely peach coloured flowers which were unusual and much admired.
It continued to flower beautiful peach coloured flowers until early July this year when it suddenly began to flower PINK flowers. Since then only pink and no peach flowers are coming along:(

Does anyone know why this sudden change of colour?

I have had hibiscus for about ten years, chosen for unusual coloured flowers and none of my shrubs/trees have ever changed colour, this is a first.
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

Never had a hibiscus change colour but I have had Mallows change colour.

I can only assume the pot had defective drainage holes or none at all.
pambon

Post by pambon »

Bunny wrote:Never had a hibiscus change colour but I have had Mallows change colour.

I can only assume the pot had defective drainage holes or none at all.
No Bunny drainage hole was perfect.I'm thinking that it is something to do with the firing in the kiln....

Was given a lovely mallow tree which is doing well with white flowers and a purple centre. Very pretty. Also like the lavender coloured flowers of the mallow.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I know hydrangeas change colour according to the acidity (or not) of the soil, so maybe hibiscus are the same? Or could the pink flowers be on root stock and the peach flowers on grafted stock?

Did your pot have drainage holes in the bottom?
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Bunny

Post by Bunny »

pambon wrote: Was given a lovely mallow tree which is doing well with white flowers and a purple centre. Very pretty.
Oh dear, that was exactly the type I had and after a couple of years it turned an all over plain dark pink.

The pot is very mysterious.
pambon

Post by pambon »

PW in Polemi wrote:I know hydrangeas change colour according to the acidity (or not) of the soil, so maybe hibiscus are the same? Or could the pink flowers be on root stock and the peach flowers on grafted stock?

Did your pot have drainage holes in the bottom?
Yep PW it did and there was nothing wrong with it. Am sure the problem was in the firing of this vase...
RichardHenshall

Post by RichardHenshall »

pambon wrote:... two years ago I bought a beautiful hibiscus (my favourite shrubs) with lovely peach coloured flowers which were unusual and much admired.
It continued to flower beautiful peach coloured flowers until early July this year when it suddenly began to flower PINK flowers. Since then only pink and no peach flowers are coming along:(

Does anyone know why this sudden change of colour?

I have had hibiscus for about ten years, chosen for unusual coloured flowers and none of my shrubs/trees have ever changed colour, this is a first.
PW in Polemi wrote:... could the pink flowers be on root stock and the peach flowers on grafted stock? ...
Some (bargain) Hibiscus that I've bought have turned out to be 2 or 3 separate (misshapen) plants potted very close together to look like one bushy plant. If the plants aren't all identical and either don't flower at exactly the same time or are at slightly different stages of maturity you might get these symptoms.
pambon

Post by pambon »

RichardHenshall wrote:
PW in Polemi wrote:... could the pink flowers be on root stock and the peach flowers on grafted stock? ...
Some (bargain) Hibiscus that I've bought have turned out to be 2 or 3 separate (misshapen) plants potted very close together to look like one bushy plant. If the plants aren't all identical and either don't flower at exactly the same time or are at slightly different stages of maturity you might get these symptoms.
When I bought the plant it was September and it wasn't exceptionally big. All the various branches were in full flower with these beautiful peach coloured flowers. Since then, up to early July, it has flowered, on all it's branches, peach coloured flowers. Now it is full of delicate pink flowers, again on all of it's branches.
Very pretty but not what I wanted or would ever have purchased!
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

I have had one or two plants change flower colour over the years, so I was interested in your Hibiscus experience : I found this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... ange-color

Might this explain it?
pambon

Post by pambon »

Zingara wrote:I have had one or two plants change flower colour over the years, so I was interested in your Hibiscus experience : I found this:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions ... ange-color

Might this explain it?
Oh Zingara, thank you how interesting. Certainly this year we have had (and are continuing to endure) different weather conditions from those considered 'the norm' of past years.
We had snow and hail several times this winter - unheard of here. Lots or rain - also unheard of for spring. Summer came with a vengeance in beginning of July with high humidity which is , unusually, still continuing. All this must have contributed to this particular hisbiscus changing colour.

Now I wonder if it will ever regain its beautiful peach colour should weather conditions adjust to its likeing!!
pambon

Post by pambon »

pambon wrote:
Zingara wrote:
Now I wonder if it will ever regain its beautiful peach colour should weather conditions adjust to its likeing!!
Yippee!!!! Nature has answered my query; this morning amongst a sea of delicate pink flowers I see a beautiful peach coloured flower :lol: (and yes, the temperature has gone down about 1 1/2 C ...)
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Fantastic...nothing like nature for making us smile

:D