Internet Problems with New PC

The place to discuss anything to do with computers, software, hardware, no matter how basic or technical. We all use this stuff, but we don't always understand it!
Casscat

Internet Problems with New PC

Post by Casscat »

I had been planning to upgrade my PC for ages and because life is kind of getting the better of me at the moment I decided to treat myself to the new kit ahead of schedule. I must say that I love it and don't regret pushing the boat out, but I do have one major problem.

I am on Sky broadband and have had innumerable connectivity issues in the past. Therefore whenever anything goes wrong with my internet connection I automatically assume it's a Sky issue and start badmouthing them to the heavens while rebooting routers and whatnot. However this time I have maligned them wrongly as my iPad is not experiencing any connection problems whatsoever.

What is happening is that my machine is failing to connect or connects and then drops out. Sometimes the connection window in the system tray displays that there is no internet connected and sometimes it shows my network but underneath it says 'unidentified network, no internet access'. As I type this I am fully hooked up and the system tray display confidently shows my network and 'internet access' but what is going on here?

I am connected via WiFi and it is not practical to have a wired connection. I have had my new computer all of three days but this morning it took me over 20 minutes to secure a stable connection.

Be gentle with me on the jargon front as I am not remotely techie.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Can you access your router logs, Casscat? That might tell you or us what's going on though if your iPad can connect it's unlikely to be a router problem.

This is probably totally unconnected (pardon the pun :wink: ) but I had a recurring problem trying to get my laptop to connect to the internet on a reboot. After a lot of Googling, I found that it had got its little head confused and was trying to connect via Bluetooth :roll: . I've now disabled Bluetooth unless I want it - which is almost never - and all is well.

You could try this article, which I've kept and worked through myself a couple of times: http://www.werockyourweb.com/your-wirel ... -dropping/
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Thanks for the input FC. I haven't looked at my router log but I did have a Google around about the message on my internet connection. I followed a YouTube tutorial but basically there was nothing amiss with my settings that I could find based on that advice. I also ran the Microsoft diagnostic and that found a fault but could not fix it. I'll have to wait for my connection to drop again before I can report the actual terms used in the diagnostic results. For now I am up and running and connected, and my service has not disconnected once since my 20 minute marathon this morning, but I know that the problem will not have gone away.
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

You may find you still have something logged in the Windows error logs. Not the easiest of things to use though but if it you know the exact time it as failing you might find something.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

How do I find this info Kev?
kevsboredagain

Post by kevsboredagain »

Casscat wrote:How do I find this info Kev?
Right click on computer from either start menu or windows explorer and select Manage. You can also start this by typing manage into the search box of the start menu.

Then look under System tools/Event viewer/Windows logs

Here you can find errors logged for applications or the system. You can filter on errors and even save them. The problem is then finding the wood in the trees as there is so much there with errors even on a working machine.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

I have absolutely no idea what to make of all the logs :?