Do you have bread delivered for your guests

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

JanB wrote: Now, I will go quietly and sincerest apologies again!
No don't go, the opinion of people who holiday here is often the most valuable! All too often you get lost in the French way of life when you have been here a long time. It is good to be reminded of what potential guests expect from their French experience.
annedab

Post by annedab »

Our local bakers is the best for miles. We are all wishing a speedy recovery to the baker........ our guests are forewarned that we don't do Mondays as they are closed, but the first thing our gite arrivals asked last week was " how do we order the bread" so I didn't feel as if I could say "well you can't this week as they are closed" I might grumble at driving the extra few miles, but it is still better than 4 lots of guests driving to the same place every day. I wonder if I could enlist volunteers on a rota system :lol:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

annedab wrote:Our local bakers is the best for miles.
Ours was too.

Sadly he committed suicide last year ... :cry:. In the bakery. He was, it turned out, in financial difficulties.

So as you might have gathered I feel quite strongly about the issues raised in this thread!
jlaceysmith

Post by jlaceysmith »

Our local bakery does a delivery run every morning to our hamlet (population 13). The elderly residents have a bread box outside their house and they leave a note, pinned cleverly with a clothes peg, of what they want. We actually highlight this to our guests ("listen out for the hooting") and they love it. The van comes to rest in the farmyard next door for ad hoc purchases and queuing up next to the farmer's wife in her startling satin pyjamas is always a talking point - I think guests think the extra 10c on a baguette is worth it...
la vache!

Post by la vache! »

French Cricket wrote:
annedab wrote:Our local bakers is the best for miles.
Ours was too.

Sadly he committed suicide last year ... :cry:. In the bakery. He was, it turned out, in financial difficulties.
The baker of the best bakery/patisserie in Fougères did the same last year. A fantastically successful bakery everyone thought, no financial problems...you just don't know.
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

jlaceysmith wrote:Our local bakery does a delivery run every morning to our hamlet (population 13). The elderly residents have a bread box outside their house and they leave a note, pinned cleverly with a clothes peg, of what they want. We actually highlight this to our guests ("listen out for the hooting") and they love it. The van comes to rest in the farmyard next door for ad hoc purchases and queuing up next to the farmer's wife in her startling satin pyjamas is always a talking point - I think guests think the extra 10c on a baguette is worth it...
Thanks jlaceysmith
JaneS

Bread

Post by JaneS »

We get the bread and croissants every morning for the B&B guests and if we have gite guests, I ask the previous evening if they would like me to get something for them. Almost all say no and say that going into a French boulongerie is part of their holiday. Guests do ask which one to go to and as I use 4 I spread the business around between them. Each one has a speciality bread so guests have a variety.

I am fortunate in that I live on the edge of town but if I was in an isolated area I would be willing to pay more to have bread delivered.

JaneS