New to this lark!

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
Morristhedog

New to this lark!

Post by Morristhedog »

What I want to know is why we flog our guts out ironing duvet cases when we could offer the couette? OK perhaps a couette is a duvet? But they are quite pretty with coloured binding and nice and thin for the summer. Why not offer these? They would only need laundering each week instead of the ironing task? Am I too gauche? Would this be unacceptable? By the time you have a duvet in a cover it is a pretty hot piece of bedtime paraphernalia for the Dordogne summers.

On parasols I have to say I got through three myself last year, and one of the seriously expensive type this year. I couldn't believe it when it swung round and the darned arm broke on one of the spokes. So it is obsolete before there have been any clients. It earned some keep in photo shoots.

OK so I am totally low on my learning curve and delighted to find this site. Thanks for reading this.

I have been advertising since Bout December and bookings came in around then. I have July and most of August covered except an odd six days to oblige some client wanting odd days. How strict are you about this? I thought, well ten days is better than a poke in the eye?

Then I received a cold call from a girl who wanted me to pay 55 euros up front to advertise on her site where she offers themed holidays. I said I would consider, but there she was again the next day asking for some commitment. I looked at her site, and couldn't help noticing the spelling errors. (OK I have a literary background) But then her idea sounded OK. However what I did not understand was that the site seemed to advertise holidays, but the pay pal payment box was only for advertisers??? I pointed this out to her, when she became defensive initially telling me I was not really interested and many others were, then whilst I was speaking to her she rang off. I have been wondering about her ever since. She promised to extend my season at both ends, which seemed attractive, but she could show no results. She had said that her enterprise worked for three years in other countries and was starting up in France, however the site claimed they had considerably more experience than that. I would have loved to give her business but the unprofessional hissy fit ring off decided me against the venture. The 55 euros was for two years, and I had suggested paying 30 and the rest when I had a booking. She was not impressed.

I am terrified by the client damage reports that I have read on this site. So far I have spoken to all my guests in advance and feel sure they are normal sensible sorts of people, am I too naive???

So my main questions are can anyone recommend a decent accountant? and secondly my pool is slimy. What should I do? It has a tablet in the skimmer that has not dissolved. The builder threw in some crushed chlorine initially totally spoiling the new liner since it now has white patches, and now I am at a loss. Leroy Merlin have a product called Brome (or something like that) that is not nasty like chlorine. But then again I got these horrid none dissolving tablets there. First guest lands in two weeks. Can anyone shed light??
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
Zorba

Re: New to this lark!

Post by Zorba »

Morristhedog wrote: and secondly my pool is slimy. What should I do? It has a tablet in the skimmer that has not dissolved. The builder threw in some crushed chlorine initially totally spoiling the new liner since it now has white patches, and now I am at a loss. Leroy Merlin have a product called Brome (or something like that) that is not nasty like chlorine. But then again I got these horrid none dissolving tablets there. First guest lands in two weeks. Can anyone shed light??
Oh dear you do have problems. Rather sounds like you need a pool professional. Bromine is expensive and not used very much on outside pools - forget it. There is no silver bullet! You can't just throw chlorine granules in a pool as you found out - they must be pre-disolved or put in a positive water flow. However in the summer you also need an algicide.
Now as I don't know what sort of pool, chlorine you have, or what testers you have, what your PH, total, alkalinity, cyanuric acid reading - it is impossible to give you advice. You really do need someone who knows pools to take you through your first season and to call on if things go wrong.
This is so important as a badly maintained pool can make guests seriously ill and you could be responsible. Pay my flight and I will be with you like a shot, I am currently looking after 3 pools and I could use the break away from tourists and er indoors. :D
PW in Polemi

Re: New to this lark!

Post by PW in Polemi »

Morristhedog wrote: Then I received a cold call from a girl who wanted me to pay 55 euros up front to advertise on her site where she offers themed holidays... I would have loved to give her business ...
Welcome to LMH, Morristhedog - you're already discovering how useful a site this is. :D

I've Googled "couette" and it appears to be a cross between a duvet and a bedspread, so I would think that providing you launder it between each set of guests, and providing it will stand up to such regular laundering (60C wash, not 30C), then go for it. If it doesn't work out, you've still got the duvet and its covers! :lol:

My recommendation (and that of many other LMHers) would be to not touch a cold caller with a barge pole. Any reputable company does not need to cold call to get customers. Check the Rental Listing Sites section of LMH.

Sounds like you need to get a professional pool man (or woman) in to get your pool ready for your guests....

Well done for getting the summer pretty well booked up already - and don't panic about all the damages and problems we post about on here. Most of them are one-off, only happen rarely, types of things - but we need to vent to people who understand the business, or get advice on how to proceed, or simply warn others about what might go wrong so they can avoid it themselves.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

Well, a couette is a duvet.

What I suspect you're referring to, Morristhedog, is one of the coloured/patterned duvet/quilt things that are so popular here - the things that are seen every morning 'airing' over windowsills.

Personally I find them hugely gross and unhygienic, and would never use them for myself. Even less would I use them in a rental, even if with a sheet underneath. There's a common belief - probably true - that they're rarely washed, and your guests would indeed find them unacceptable. They absorb sweat, stains and heaven knows what else. What you want is a good quality summer weight duvet in a clean and ironed cotton duvet cover, with a sheet available for guests to use instead in really hot weather.

We use 4 seasons duvets, made up of two halves - one half is very very lightweight and is fine in summer; one is good for autumn and spring, and the two together are warm in winter.

Can't comment on your pool problems as I don't have one!
Bassman

Post by Bassman »

I have a bromine pool and have been told not to mix bromine with chlorine, once you have bromine you have to stick with it or drain the pool or wait long period before reverting to back to chlorine. The brome tablets are used in a brominator
http://www.hayward-pool.com/shop/en/poo ... --off-line
Best get some good advice quickly.

I have had good feed back from guest re bromine! is it worth the extra not sure!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We're in the Dordogne too and I understand the difference between couette and duvet in a duvet cover. I wouldn't use a couette in a rental property or on my own beds.

Ditto to all of French Cricket's post.

Gillian
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Interesting Bassman, here in Cyprus which is wall to wall pools you can only buy bromine in domestic quantities for spa's. The commercial 25KG sacks and tubs are not easily available, if at all.

I know of people who are allergic to chlorine finding bromine much more acceptable.
Although this is not going to help Morris much this article I found very helpful on the subject http://aquamagazine.com/service/bromine ... pools.html

As the article says Bromine can't be stabilised, so in Cyprus with so much sun this is a definite minus. Although Bromine does have advantages I would still suggest at this late stage Morris gets a professional in to adjust:
PH
Total Alkalinity
Cyanuric acid
Advise on whether to use "Di-Chlor" Tri-chlor" or "cal chlor"
and sets up a regular pumping & backwash regime for Morris to follow.

As regards the "slime" and with guests coming in so soon, I would recommend a French made product called "Blackel Shock" or "Silvertrine". Both need careful measurement of the dose and are best done by someone with pool experience.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Welcome to Lay My Hat :)

I agree about the couette - I used to work in a gîte that had them and they were seriously icky, even with regular laundering. We cheat with the ironing... pillowcases always get ironed but the duvet covers get neatly folded and stacked on top of each other so the weight irons them for us. Never had any complaints... though I should add that were a fairly large property (20 bed) so with all the spares, there's always a good stack of covers to weigh the newly laundered ones down.
tavi

Post by tavi »

Hi Morris and Welcome.

The others have pretty much covered your queries and I would totally agree - if your pool is green and slimy you need urgent professional help and regular management of it throughout the summer.

As for your 6 day gaps - I sometimes get a last minute booking for a space - in high season it's usually worth accepting. I've just taken a booking for such a space from a repeat guest in July.

Have a great summer and enjoy your lovely guests 8)
Morristhedog

Pool slimy

Post by Morristhedog »

No the pool is not green. It is slippy on the pool lining under the water.

What is a pool expert? The guy that has damaged my liner is an expert.

People create themselves into being expert it seems.

Interested in all the comments on bromine. The guy (expert)??? in Leroy Merlin said I can just use it after having used Chlorine. I have to say I was a bit surprised.

So finding someone who treats pools successfully and is not a self made expert??

Tall order!

I have tested the water a few times with testing sticks, and all read ok for Ph etc but the slimy lining concerns me. I want it squeaky clean pdq!

I am all set up of course to offer new summer duvets with covers. I really do not see what is wrong with laundering couettes, but understand that beds look cute adorned in duvets and too many pillows! Mine look that way! Yeah and extra covers so they can abandon the darned duvet and use just a sheet! (More ironing!)

Thank you all for your kind replies.
tavi

Post by tavi »

I understand the duvet/sheet dilemma - I have this every May when I end up with duvets on the beds and advise guests that there's a sheet in the cupboard if the nights turn hot. Once we turn the corner into summer it's sheets on the beds until late September when it's the same dilemma in reverse for a week or so!

Re the pool - if the water's still clear (sorry I misunderstood) but the liner is slimey it could still be a sign that the water's starting to "turn".

HTH 8)
Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Morris to find your local expert contact these guys http://www.purepooloperatortraining.com/ Unfortunately it takes years to get to know pools, people in shops are there to sell stuff - good shops have pool technicians that will come to your pool.

Pool test sticks are notorious unreliable, the best I have found is "Aquacheck" Also use OTO & Phenal red reagent tests kits in addition to test strips.

As I have already said you do need an algicide in summer - chlorine is just not enough. I recommend this one http://www.france-accessoires-piscines. ... 18888.html

You will only need to put it in once every 3 months maximum, whereas other algaecides need to be added every week. This product will clear your slime within 48 hours BUT take care on how you use it!

Regarding Chlorine Tabs - they are great for maintaining chlorine between cleans but you do need granular chlorine to shock the pool and increase the chlorine quickly. If your pool water is new, then I would recommend "Astral Tri-Chlor". You put this into the skimmer slowly - a 1/4 litre plastic glass full is enough for a small 8 X 4M pool for 2+ days.
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

Thanks Zorba, I have a small wooden pool, 11,000 litres. I will follow up some of your leads. The water still looks lovely, but plainly needs some decent treatment.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Welcome Morristhedog, to add my two pennies worth.

I am with the others on using couette. We fit all our beds with sheets underneath a summer duvet + plus. Means for a 2 week stay we only need to change the sheet. Still more ironing I know but ironing sheets is easier than duvet covers.

On your cold caller, if you search this forum for the companies name you will see some previous threads regarding them, nothing bad but nothing great I am afraid.

Regarding the damage reports its only in a very small number of guests that cause serious damage, mostly its plates and glasses, which need to be looked as disposable/replaceable anyway.

I have used an accountant in the past who has done an ok job for me, let me know if you're still interested and I can pass on his details via PM.

Regarding the pool, if the liner is slippery then its sounds like you've got a build up of algae on it. Follow the others advise and get some chlore choc in there to kill it off and then keep the cleaning and chemical balance right and it should be sorted.

Good luck with your first season
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

The addition of chlorine to sanitize a pool can be done using "javel" in France (bleach) and is available in liquid form from Bricomarches. Mix with water and pour in near the return jets. Chlorine "choc" as advertised is wrong as the shocking of a pool is an action not a product, and is used to bring up the level of chlorine to kill bacteria normally when opening the pool.
I have found algicide to be unnecesary in pools as long as you have the chlorine and pH balance correct. I occasionally use slow release chlorine tablets when heavy usage by guests.
Test strips are next to useless. Use phenol red tablets to check free chlorine or buy a reliable "expensive" test kit to find everything about your water chemistry.
Remember that adding chlorine will raise the pH of the water and to lower it use acid, also available at the Brico's - add to water in a bucket and add to pool by the return jets as with the "javel".
Pool "experts" in France (and maybe elsewhere) are extremely rare. Charletans are not rare.
Try brushing the surface of the liner to remove whatever is making it "slimy" and filter for 24hrs. Backwash the filter (I assume you have a sand filter) and add some floculent in tablet form to the skimmer basket to remove the smaller particles.
Have fun !
What would Plato do ?